FLEX 1500 Transmits Full Power When Mic Button Depressed
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FLEX 1500 Transmits Full Power When Mic... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:33 AM
My FLEX 1500 has a nasty "habit" of transmitting full power without carrier modulation. Depressing the microphone TX button results in transmitting as though the carrier is being modulated by voice. The radio does not seem to do this when the microphone is not plugged in and I transmit using the MOX button. Although the radio does not do this all the time it is annoying and my signal reports are horrible. Voice garbled is the most common complaint. Then I noticed that when I depress the microphone button to transmit the panafall on the computer shows that without modulation the radio is transmitting noise, usually a ringing or clunking sound. This radio has been back to FLEX Radio three times for repair in the last two years. I will not send it back a fourth time. The radio was initially defective and should have been replaced. So, if the problem cannot be resolved the "box" will become an expensive paper weight. So, I am using Windows 7; an ACER ASPIRE ONE computer with 2 gigs of ram (computer is exclusively dedicated to the FLEX radio), and SDR 2.6.4. My power supply is a very good and stable supply. In fact I have tried three power supplies with the same results. The TX equalizer is off. Mic volume is turned down and whether I am using Default or Default DX settings the result is the same. Oh yes, the radio does this with all of my microphones (Yaesu as well as Heil). I have reset the radio (erased all software and reinstalled several times) the radio continues to be a problem. Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Please help. I am turning to the forum as the Flex experts have not been able to help, ignored my last email, and this radio should be much better than it has proven to be. Many thanks in advance, Peter (AL7QL)  

peterj
Post #6584
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:43 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, November 25, 2013 7:31 PM
Does it do this into a good dummy load directly connected to 1500?
Post #6585
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 1:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 13, 2013 2:22 PM
I had a similar problem and, as I recall (I'm not in front of the rig right now), it turned out that I had the VAC turned on in SSB mode.

Doug WB5TKI
Post #6591
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 1:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I discovered that the rig does this in Default Mode and not in Default DX Mode. VAC is off. I also started paying attention to the power out and my percentages with all power setting set as high as possible (100%) range between 35 and 41%. Not sure if this is what to expect. I read the manual but I could not locate where this was addressed. Again many thanks. Peter

peterj
Post #6592
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 1:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the post. I have not tried this with a dummy load but will do so. I also noticed that this behavior only occurs in Defauly Mode and not in Default DX mode. As it has been back to FLEX multiple times for repair in two years I guess I am a little gun shy. Many thanks for the reply. Peter

peterj
Post #6593
Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:11 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:47 AM
Peter,

Be sides making sure that VAC button is turned off, be sure that you are monitoring your TX audio levels in the Mic and ALC , TX Metering .. The 1500 has a lot of microphone gain, and you should not be using mic boost either.. You may need to reduce the "Mixer" menu at the top of PowerSDR so that the Mic Gain is in the 10 to 35 range for the 1500, while voice peaks are no higher than "0" dbm in the Mic/ALC metering.. Also might want to try using this setup for microphone settings.

http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/entries/21938803-TX-Audio-Setup-Procedure-by-W1AEX-Rob

If the ALC level is going wild as soon as you key the radio and the VAC button is not engaged, then do the Factory Defaults in the Setup menu to reset the database. Removing and reinstalling PowerSDR will not reset this database as it is contained under your User name, Apps directory tree.

Dudley

FlexRadio Systems Support
512-535-4713, Option 2
http://helpdesk.flexradio.com
Post #6595
Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi Dudley:

Thanks for the tips. What is interesting that without changing settings this happens in Default Mode and not in Default DX Mode. ALthough I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several time already I will reset it tonight and get back to you. Maybe I am just not getting it but I do find it interesting that this behavior only happens on the Defaul and not Default DX setting. Thanks and I will try this tonight. FYI, my VAC is only on when in digital modes. Best wishes, Peter

peterj

Post #6596
Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:26 PM
Forum Newbie

Dudley:

Also forgot to say that when pushing all volumes to 100% the power reading on the meter ranges between 28 and 35%. This seems low. When lowering the mic volume and TX output the meter reads 15 to 17% and the needles on the watt meter don't move even when using the 30 watt max scale. Any thought on this? 73, Peter

peterj

Post #6597
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Dudley:

This is what happened last night. Uninstalled software and reinstalled the software. Changed factory settings per the setup link and instructions you provided. Results follow:

1) 0 power transmitted when the mic button is depressed however, the signal on the SDR display shows a spike as though the radio is transmitting. When modulated with voice using the settings per the instructions on the setup link power out is approximately 12% to 16% on the meter. With all mic and volume settings set to maximun the power reading is 31% to 36%. This seems low to me. What does your experience tell you? Thanks, Peter (AL7QL) 

peterj

Post #6600
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 4:02am