RFI Issues Flex 3000
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

RFI Issues Flex 3000 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:32 PM
Hello to all,

I'm a new Flex 3000 owner but a long time ham. I just purchased a Flex 3000. I've tried many different mic's, speakers, headphones, ferrite beads, toroid chokes, operating positions, and different antennas. My issue is, I'm getting varying degrees of rf on my audio, along with some feed back that sounds like a wahwah pedal on a guitar.

I should mention that I have a common ground bar along the back of my bench that gets tied to a ground rod right outside of my shack. Everything on my bench, including the PC is grounded to that point.

It seems to vary band by band. When I think I have it licked, I turn on my TL-922A, and BAM, it's back with a vengeance.

When I hook my ProII back up, it's fine, no RFI, nothing. Which leads me to believe it may be coming from my pc. Which I have choked power connections and the firewire cables, along with most cables going to and from the pc itself. The PC is top end, it's a gaming computer I put together and can more than handle the Flex. It's the same pc I use for logging and rig control of my ProII. It also has a full metal case.

Has anyone run into this problem before, and what have they done to help. As mentioned in the first paragraph, I tried almost everything I can think of. I've read other posts out here, saying to change the type of feedline I'm using etc.....but I'm not doing all that for one radio, when others haven't had an issue.

Thanks,

Brian
N3LKA
Post #6548
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 1:25 PM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 11:20 AM
Hi name is Jim you might want to try this couple of sites they should make a difference.
http://www.w1aex.com/psdrgain/psdrgain.html

http://www.w4wwj.com/flex3000.html

73 Jim
W4WWJ

Jim W4WWJ
Post #6549
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

I tried the links, no changes other than audio a bit lower, but thank you.

I think the 3000 will go back in the box and wind up at the fest this weekend or on qth.com. I'm sure it's a great radio, but I want to operate rather than tweak and hunt down rf issues that don't exist with my other radios.

Brian
Post #6550
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:09 AM
Sounds like a classic case of rf getting into Flex and or computer. Usual solution is to use ferrite chokes on the Mic cable near where it connects to the radio. I may take several turns through the choke or more then one choke. I had to put them on the USB connections going into the computer. If you have an antenna close over head or using a vertical near by that can be a real issue. Also may need a choke on the coax coming into the shack.

Good Luck
Fred
Post #6551
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. I tried beads everywhere. Good thing I had a junk drawer full. My antennas are a good bit away. It's not for me, I listed it for sale.
Post #6555
Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 6:12 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 1, 2013 6:09 PM
Sorry about that... I've had two different Flex 3000 radios and never had any RF problems. I have a shack ground and the antennas are located at least 50 feet from the shack.

Bob KK8ZZ

Bob Hinkle, KK8ZZ
Solon, Ohio
Post #6711
Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 5:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, August 3, 2013 5:22 PM
Never had RFI issues- however I am using a single point ground, everything is grounded except the computer. I am also using the granite firewire cable.
Post #6744
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:10am