Virtual com port
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Virtual com port Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 1:45 AM
I am struggling to make this work and hope someone can help.
I am currently running a prolific serial/usb adapter which is connected to my FT897D and the computer. This allows me to run various software such as wspr and wsjt etc.
Now, having just purchased the Flex1500, i want to use the flex on these digimodes as well. Thinking I needed a virtual com port, I installed COM0COM but now stuck. The Prolific usb/serial converter is using com1. How does one marry these two ports together?
Any help appreciated. PS. the pc is a CORE I3 Fujitsu win7 64bit.

John
Post #6457
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 5:03 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:09 AM
To use digitals modes with the Flex-1500 you need 2 Pairs of virtual comports. A pair for PTT and a pair to connect to the 3rd party soft war like HRS, JT65-HF, WSJT etc.
Also you need the software "VAC" (Virtual audio cable). I have 2 VAC audiolines running (Line 1 and 2) and 2 pairs of virtual com ports. (Com6/7 for PTT and Com 10/11 for connecting the software.

VAC is needed as a virtual audioline between PowerSDR and the 3rd party Software (DM780. WSJT....) you don´t have to use any hardware interface for digitals.

The Link in this post may help: http://forums.flexradio.com/Topic4287-56-1.aspx#bm4407

Call: DF5WW (Class A) ... OP: Juergen (Joe) .... Rig: Only QRP with Flex 1,5k and 2 x 25 m folded doublet with balance feedline for all bands (under the roof). Also a 10,3 m Quadloop for 10 and 6 ... feeded with ladderline too and also under the roof.
Post #6458
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 8:10 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Hallo,
I have now down loaded VSP AND COM0COM software but am stuck as how to implement them.
I current have a data back box with one end connected to my ft897d data port and the other to the prolific serial/usb converter which plugs into a usb port. My Flex1500 connects to another usb port.
Where do I go from here with either program?

Thanks

John
Post #6459
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:42 PM

Ok, it seems no-one has set up cw skimmer with the flex1500. I,ll have to look elsewhere.
Post #6475
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:15 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:47 AM
John,

Sounds like you have a lot of things confused.. If you already have ComOCom , you do not need VSP manager. But VSP manager is easier to work with than Com0Com.. Both of these are for the virtual serial ports generation and connection.. Your USB to Serial on Com1 does not matter and you will not need it except when you are using your FT897, has nothing to do with the Flex 1500, PowerSDR , or Skimmer.. ..

You will need to setup two pairs of virtual ports.. for example com6 to com 16 and com7 to com17.. For the CAT data use Com16 in PowerSDR CAT com.. (high order in PSDR, some SW programs will not go above com9 ) Then in Skimmer CAT, use Com6 for CAT.. PTT can be either using CAT commands or use Com17 in the PTT of PSDR, and Com7 in your SW program for separate PTT.

Now for the audio, use VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) which you will have to purchase from http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm please just go ahead and purchase it, version 4.12. Works in all Windows OS, NEVER use the demo version as it is limited and injects a voice every 10 or 15 seconds. You will need 2 virtual audio cables.. One for the output of PowerSDR and one for the input of PowerSDR . Remember that this needs to be in Stereo.. The OUTPUT of PowerSDR in the VAC1 tab is for one virutal cable (usually Virtual Cable 2) the input of PowerSDR is usually Virtual Cable 1. In the SW program you are going they flip, so the input of CW Skimmer is Virtual cable 2.. Important!!! Do not connect the output of CW skimmer to Virtual line 1, reason you are passing out a I/Q signal directly to the radio and bypassing the control built into PowerSDR , you can damage the radio.. Let the output of CW Skimmer go to the soundcard of the computer.. Now you will notice the Direct I/Q check box in the VAC1 tab , CW skimmer so far is the only program that can take the I/Q directly from the radio , so check this. You can leave the driver MME and sample rate at 48K, if you were running a 3000 or 5000 you would have to use WDM-KS and a higher sample rate.

There you go. It's a complicated process to be able to decode the 48 khz bandwidth, verses the 3K BW that you had with the FT897. Just think with the 5000 and two receivers you can decode two bands at 192 khz, and up to 1600 cw stations.. If you have the computer to do it..

Dudley

FlexRadio Systems Support
512-535-4713, Option 2
http://helpdesk.flexradio.com
Post #6516
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 8:39am