VAC set-up, cable "RANGE" or "FORMAT" ?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

VAC set-up, cable "RANGE" or "FORMAT" ? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:58 AM
I have a Flex 1500 using Window's 7 (64 bit) OS. I operate mostly WSPR, JT65, and some CW. While searching the forum, I have noticed that the recommended cable settings ( particularly FORMAT/RANGE ) varies from one author to another. Bottom line, I don't understand the difference between the two settings, I have run both settings and don't see much difference. I also saw one KB article suggests 96k SR, and another 48K SR? Can someone educate me on this subject? I use the VAC 4.09 version.

Thanks,73, John

73,John KC4RSN
Post #6219
Posted Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:58 AM
Well, apparently there are no strong opinions on this subject, so, I will go with the info (KB article #50230) that I have:

"You can choose two different Stream limit formats; cable format and cable range. Since PowerSDR defines both audio cables' format when VAC support is enabled, using the Cable Format is recommended. If you decide to use the Cable Range stream format, one thing to consider, when a format conversion occurs, it takes significant CPU resources and it may noticeably slow your applications causing audio drops outs. Therefore using Cable Format as the stream format may help with audio drop outs. In the example above, I am using Cable Range because it provides the most flexibility and does not adversely affect the performance of PowerSDR on the computer I am using."

So, I will stay with "CABLE FORMAT", as the recommended setting.

73,John KC4RSN
Post #6238
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:18pm