Any way to have an Automatic Antenna Switch with Flex-3000?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

123»»»

Any way to have an Automatic Antenna Switch... Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:18 PM
Hello!

This is my first post here. My Flex-3000 will arrive this week and I´m looking forward for it.

My actual radio is the Yaesu FT-950 and the feature I think I will miss most in Flex-3000 is the lack of two antenna inputs connectors. I have one multi-band antenna at input 1 (6,10,12,15,17,20,30,40m) and a dual band antenna at input 2 (17m,40m). The FT-950 memorizes the antenna input connector used with each band. If I use antenna 2 in 40m, when I get back to 40m coming from any other band, the antenna 2 will be remembered.

My question is: There is any automatic antenna switch which can be controlled by the Flex software this way?

Any suggestion will help.

73/PY2JF - João Roberto

[Flex-3000]
Post #6159
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 6:26 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:09 AM
Think it would be a good idea to check out the instruction manual for the PSDR Software. Especially the menu funktion "Antenna" ..... in Expertmode you can say which connector to be used for the different bands. So the Flexradios with PSDR are it´s own "Automatic antenna switches" ...... No other hardware needed

Call: DF5WW (Class A) ... OP: Juergen (Joe) .... Rig: Only QRP with Flex 1,5k and 2 x 25 m folded doublet with balance feedline for all bands (under the roof). Also a 10,3 m Quadloop for 10 and 6 ... feeded with ladderline too and also under the roof.
Post #6160
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:41 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
Hi, as nice as the Flex 3000 is. I don't think it will work as a ant switch. It only has one ant input.

The flex 5000 has this switching built in and can do more than the 950 such as antenna steering.

With my Flex 3000 I connect all my antennas to my antenna tuner and just switch from there.

And I realy love my 3000.

Post #6163
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:46 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

I wonder if there is any relay box antenna switch where we can control via serial port this switches. Well, could be a nice add for this radio.

This is my first day using the Flex-3000. I´m impressed with the features. Looks like this radio will stay. Now I´m Just trying to understand the reason my audio and power output are so low (31W normal speaking). But I still have to read the whole manual.

73/PY2JF - João Roberto

[Flex-3000]
Post #6166
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:58 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Talking about the receiver, try turning the AF high and then turn the AGC-T down till all the noise goes away. Amazing you will still hear voices but with out the junk. for talk power, you may need to go threw all the audio chain settings first. The mic, mixer settings, Eq gain if used,Leveler. All have much to do with your audio sound and output.

If you like you can call me on skype and I will walk you through all this. skype name is va3wtb.

I am on most nights after 8:00 Toronto time.

Post #6169
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, December 1, 2012 12:20 PM
DDutil is the answer for you.

http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Post #6172
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:05 AM

Thank you S55oo! This software looks promising!

VA3WTB thank you for the offer. I would appreciate to talk with you and exchange some ideas about this Flex radio.

I have not had plenty of time to deal with this audio problem because now I´m fighting with the Firewire driver. At least I think is the driver. After more than 15 minutes listening to the Flex-3000 my PowerSDR freezes. If I try to reload the software, Flex-3000 option is gray and not available. I just get it back if I reboot my PC.

Besides that, two more issues call my attention:

The attenuator or pre amplifiers not seem to work. I hear clicks from relays inside the Flex but nothing changes in the signal. And my 40m antenna has good SWR in the CW portion of the band. Last night I tried the ATU for 7.145 and after it shows that SWR is ok, it freezes if i try to transmit.

Well, too many problems for 3 days with this radio, but I really liked the SDR idea and will do whatever it´s needed to make this think work.

By the way, my PC configuration:

- Quad Core iMac
- Windows 7 64 bits via Boot Camp
- 4 GB RAM
- 6 pin/9 pin Firewire cable

PowerSDR uses only 9% of CPU power.

Any suggestions?

73/PY2JF - João Roberto

[Flex-3000]
Post #6173
Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 2:59 PM
Supreme Being

Hi I will talk to you any time, hope we connect. The problem is your firewire cable. Buy the cable from Flex,,,

Granite Digital 6 to 6-pin Firewire Cable, 6'

the really good one. Many don't understand that firewire cables can go bad. I think this will fix your problem. There has be many post on here about the same problem, thats how many have fixed it. What is happening is you are getting dropouts, if there are any at all it will freeze. I heard a guy say he bought a realy good cable at Radio Shack and it worked very well for him.

The flex radios are very easy to install. Make sure you follow the install instructions in full!! make sure there are no anti virius programs working or anything like that, this could make trouble for the radio install as well as operations.

Post #6181
Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 7:56 PM

Bill, I use an iMac and the Firewire connector is the little one, not the 6 pin standard. Flex don´t have this for sale, at least I could not find it.

My Flex came with a good Firewire cable, but it is 6 pin not 4.

I got this one in eBay and looks good, but we never know.

Maybe If I buy and adapter from 6 to 4 pin and try the cable from Flex.

What the guys with iMacs do to deal with this cable problem?

73 from PY2JF

73/PY2JF - João Roberto

[Flex-3000]
Post #6182
Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 8:26 PM
Supreme Being

They have the 4 to six pin cable, if you go into the Flex on line store. It is on the top header on the screen. I am still sure it is the cable. The cable you have may not be able to run at a full 400. that was my case here when I had freezing.
Post #6183
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

123»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:16pm