Microphone and the Flex 3000
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Microphone and the Flex 3000 Expand / Collapse
I would like to start a topic about the...
Poll ResultsVotes
Heil Pr-781

66.67%
Heil HM-4

33.33%
Member Votes: 2, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:26 PM
Heil PR20UT is £85 from Micsdirect UK, and thats with a long XLR lead, spit cover and carry pouch too.

WAY cheaper than even a used MC60. You can get a cheap boom stand for £30 too.

I use an ISK stand - prewired with the XLR and plenty of spare cable to reach the rig.

Foot switch is a £3 'Tattoo Machine Foot Switch' from eBay. Just solder on a Phono Plug and you are good to go.

Do NOT try the many guitar pedals out there like the Yamaha I bought first - its a darned momentary push to BREAK in there you cannot modify.

HTH?

Kind Regards,
Steve M1BJR
Somerset UK

Post #6212
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:15 AM
Heil is nice i im also using it since long...

[size=1]turbotax coupon[/size]
Post #6221
Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 8:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 17, 2012 8:27 AM
I use the HM-PRO that Flex sells as well as the cable for it from Flex. I have had very good reports and seem to match up very well with the 3000.

P
Post #6239
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:52 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:26 PM
At the end of day - its how you SET UP THE AUDIO that matters, not so much the element you feed it with.

Listen to yourself on another radio with headphones, try that radio with filters open, and then again how others typically run them.

On the 590 that I use for monitoring, I set low cut to 100Hz, and high cut to 2800Hz - thats fairly typical for most ham receivers.

The Heil Mics like PR20 have a fairly flat response, and it will sound bass heavy with most male vocals on the Flex3000.

So open up that 10band EQ and play - maybe boost the 1-4kHz region, and roll off gradually as you increase freq. Its a good start.

You want intelligability - and I see a lot of waterfalls with a thick line near the spot frequency and nothing in the midrange - bass heavy and hard to copy.

Try and get the midrange/top up in strength, add some compression (DX about 4 works well) - and that will get you heard.

Avoid excess bandwidth for DX contacts, you want that energy INSIDE the typical window that others will be listening - normally <3kHz wide.

Anything outside that is wasted and will effectively reduce your output.

From experience, in the pileups its not how strong your signal, its how loud and clear it appears, is what gets the contact.

A well adjusted EQ, bandwidth and compression on this rig can make any mic sound pretty good.

And with that 'full' audio comes higher average power output of course - like a small linear but costs you nothing but a little time

S.

Kind Regards,
Steve M1BJR
Somerset UK

Post #6241
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:38 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
The last post is right. I remember a while ago I brock a pile up. The guy said the only reason he called me back was that my audio was so clean and clear. Other than that I would sound like all the rest.
Post #6242
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:45 AM
I use a D104m6b handheld I have the mic gain at 15 on the radio and 3 on the back of the handheld D104.

73 K2HAT fn32
Post #6326
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:13pm