Microphone and the Flex 3000
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Microphone and the Flex 3000 Expand / Collapse
I would like to start a topic about the...
Poll ResultsVotes
Heil Pr-781

66.67%
Heil HM-4

33.33%
Member Votes: 2, Anonymous Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:31 AM
Hello people,

I would like to start a topic about the microphone that we use.
Currently I have the Heil PR 781 and despite all settings, this is still not the right choice.

Also can I use a Heil headset HM-4 but also not the desired result.
This continues to be modest in hearing.

Who has good experience with a microphone in cooperation with the Flex Radio.
Before I would buy one I'd love to hear a general opinion.

All settings have been tried, but not get the desired result.
Thank you and I hope that the new flexers an inspiration will be.

'73 Guus

Post #6097
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:30 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 11:20 AM
I use a Heil HM-12 everybody say's it FM quality. Rig Flex -3000

Jim w4wwj    http://www.w4wwj.com/flex3000.html

Jim W4WWJ

Post #6098
Posted Monday, October 22, 2012 5:55 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, June 10, 2013 5:53 AM
Hi Guus,
I have changed the PR-781 for a Heil Gold Elite microphone.
From that time i have perfect results in modulation and talkpower.

See my post:

http://forums.flexradio.com/Topic6024-55-1.aspx

Post #6102
Posted Monday, October 22, 2012 12:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:14 PM
Guus....I use a Heil PR 40 coupled to a W2IHY EQplus on my 3000 and I get excellent results....I used the factory default settings on the 3000 and I used a fairly high output level from the EQplus to drive the 3000.....I have never used any other mic on my Flex 3000 so I don't how other mics might drive the 3000....if adjusting the 3000 doesn't give you the results you desire then possibly an amplified mic might help....I don't like nor recommend  amplified mics but one might do the trick for you....I hope you get the problem fixed....Joe, W5SSS
Post #6103
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:24 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:02 PM
I'm Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your microphone. I have a PR-781 connected to my 3k as well and like the results that was able to get with it. I have it wired like this:

http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50409.aspx

The mic seems to have plenty of drive for the radio and the transmit audio gets very nice unsolicited comments. If your still having trouble getting it set up to your liking, try looking at this article by AB4RJ. My setup is very close to his:

http://ab4bj.com/wordpress/2012/06/flex-radio-power-sdr-transmit-audio-settings/

or this one by W1AEX:

http://www.w1aex.com/psdrgain/psdrgain.html

both methods demonstrate how to get the most out of your mic without over driving and will give you a good starting point.

Your Mileage may vary... Good Luck!

N9KX
-Steve
Post #6111
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:44 PM
I also use a pr781 and did not like it with the eq available in the flex. I bought the RoMac 10 band Eq and now the 781 sounds much , much better. I personally do not really like the pr781 having had one previous but this one came with the flex 3000. Check out www.romacsoftware.com blows all that high priced stuff out of the water. Actually makes any mic sound great and best part it's under $40

I suffer from Kleptomania and often take something for it.
Post #6113
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:31 AM
Thank you all for posting.
So you see again that we are all in a different way with his hobby.

I've watched the Romac software but the validity was only 15 hours,
so I have little use for testing, sorry.

There is still no decision and hope some comments or reading material here to find.
Thanks all for the input, hope to hear you on frequency.
Excusse me for bad writing.

Many greetings Guus
Post #6120
Posted Monday, October 29, 2012 3:41 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:26 PM
My view:

With so many adjustments and a 10band EQ, compression, you do not need external processing with the right element.

I had super results from a Kenwood MC60.

I now use the Heil PR20 direct to radio - even better.

In fact, why spend a fortune on studio mics for a 3Khz signal?

All you really need is a quality flat response - have you seen how cheap the PR20 vocal mic is is $$$  ?

Try it, you will not be disappointed. In fact try a $5 condenser from Radio Shack - I heard this on air and its excellent.

Spend TIME on dialling in the EQ and rig, and not $$$ on the mic.

Kind Regards,
Steve M1BJR
Somerset UK

Post #6125
Posted Friday, November 2, 2012 11:06 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
The Flex radio is capable of very clean audio that is just not found on other radios even at 3k wide. There are many reasons for this I will not get into here.Because the radio can be so clean, the audio from a real sensitive mike can be heard. This is why a good studio mic may be used. Less expensive mic's are less sensitive, but this is not to say we can not achieve good sound from them as well. Problem is many people have their receiver set narrow and they can never hear the difference.
Post #6129
Posted Friday, November 9, 2012 2:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 31, 2012 7:50 AM
standard Yaesu Hm whatever it is mic, works fantastic, always getting brilliant audio reports on it, the flex has the best audio ive had on any other radio there is so much more you can do with all the different settings, my advice would be ditch the heil and keep it simple for about £25 you can buy one of these

New Flex 3000 Owner and I love It:

Post #6131
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:44pm