Signal Attenuation on the 5000A
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Signal Attenuation on the 5000A Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:42 AM
Good morning to all on the Forum

As a recent purchaser of a new 5000A I'm definitely still in learning mode, so I'm trying to gain experience.
On 40m it can often get very noisy and my waterfall display (using Panafall) goes almost bright green across the width of the screen with odd patches of yellow depicting stronger signals.
This is using my 40m Dipole as the antenna.

In a conventional transceiver I would add attenuation to quieten down the input level using the attenuator which helps with the weaker signals.
I can switch to my 20m Vertical antenna which is much further away from the shack with more coax loss and seems less efficient, but this gives the attenuation I seek and the waterfall display becomes much more usable.

My question is please - do I just use the AGC-T control to reduce RF Gain, though this doesn't seem to affect the waterfall display, or is there a way to configure the 5000A settings to effectively add signal attenuation? I can see that the 3000A block diagram shows a switchable RF Attenuator, but the 5000A block diagram doesn't?

Any advice would be appreciated. The 5000A is a great transceiver and I want to get the very best from it.

Many thanks

Mick
M0GWD
Post #5960
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:57 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:45 AM
If your main objection is to the visual display, the most direct change will be to change the visual display.  Go to Setup, Display tab, and increase either the (or both) the Min Spectrum Grid, and or the Waterfall Low Level.  These two numbers define the "floor" of the the Panadapter and Waterfall displays.  

If the Waterfall Low Level is (for example) -130 dB for a quiet band, you may need to increase it all the way to -110 dB for the noisy 40M band. 

If you start using DDutil to integrate remote control of your amp, rotor, or logging programs, you can also setup 'band change macros'  that will set these display parameters (and others) every time you go to a new portion of a band.  I use these to macros to change a 3/4 function on my SteppIR, and set the minimum display thresholds by band. 

Jim KJ2P 

Post #5971
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 1:37 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:42 AM
Hello Jim, a very good morning to you

Your advice is exactly what I was looking for and increasing the Waterfall Low Level from 130dB to 115dB on 40m has cleaned up the waterfall display and made it much more readable.
I have also adjusted Min Spectrum Grid slightly. Works for me.

Thanks for posting the information. Much appreciated.
I'm learning all of the time.

Mick
M0GWD
Post #5976
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 1:11am