Computer for Flex 3000?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Computer for Flex 3000? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:14 PM
I just purchased a used Flex 3000 and now I am in need of a Flex ready computer....I'm not a computer whiz so I'm more or less looking for a "plug and play"  system....Flex recommends Flex ready computers from Abroham Neal.....I'm looking at  two of Neals' lower priced systems....one is called "entry-level" ($899) and the other is called ""small-form-factor" ($1459).....Price is not really a factor here.....but going by the specs I don't see much difference in the two systems....will the higher priced system offer that much more in performance or will the lower priced system do quite well....opinions please....Thanks....Joe, W5SSS
Post #5774
Posted Friday, June 15, 2012 1:21 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, May 13, 2013 7:49 PM
Joe,

Two quick points for Neal's system is that the firewire port will play well with the rest of the system hardware and software. The other that background processes with be eliminated that are not absolutely needed to run the computer.

Without looking up the details of the two system I am assuming the difference is physical size (smaller-better), memory size(more-better), hard-drive(more-better) size and maybe cpu type/size.

Addressing the firewire port and background processes is the key. Current cpu with supporting minimum memory has the horsepower. Running more programs on top of PowerSDR, like digital signal modes, logging, call sign lookup will not significantly burden the cpu, but more memory never hurts and storage for all the QSO you are going to log is good to.

I am sure that the difference in price includes a small premium for Neal's work beyond the material cost. You can spend a lot of time and money on your own putting something together and working out the bugs. He has made it easy, but only you can determine which may be the better system to use.

I had the same issue when I bought an off the self computer. I had no idea if it would work well. It has so by skill or luck my HP Pavilion p6730f is getting the job done.

KE5MC, Mike

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Post #5782
Posted Friday, June 15, 2012 1:51 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Mike, KE5MC...tnx for the response....I'm getting into this sdr business blind....I've studied Neals testamonials and his guarantees about his Flex Ready computers....I think it's the only way to go for me....I checked with a local computer store....Neals is $100 more but he guarantees it to be plug and play....if it doesn't he can communicate with with it through the internet and make it work, this service is included in the price of the computer which to me is very well worth the extra $100...the only problem I find with Neal is that he doesn't have any of his Flex Ready computers assembled and ready to ship...he builds them after you place your order....it takes 3 - 6 weeks before he ships....I'm anxious and ready to go so this 3 - 6 weeks will probably seen like an eternity....I'll post my results here after I get the computer and get going....Tnx again, Joe, W5SSS
Post #5783
Posted Friday, June 15, 2012 3:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Mike et al....I know this can be looked up on Neals website....but for anybody wanting to know, here are the specifics on Neals "Entry Level" Flex Ready computer:

A powerful Windows 7 low-cost system highly tuned for the operation of Software-defined Radios utilizing a FireWire interface, such as the FLEX-3000 and FLEX-5000 series of radios by FlexRadio Systems.

This system is custom-assembled from high-quality products selected for best cost/performance and compatibility with SDR systems. This system utilizes:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 pocessor, 4-core processor running at 3.4GHz
Asus M5A88-M micro-ATXmotherboard
8 gigabytes of RAM
500GB SATA II drive
22xDVD/CD burner utilizing a SATA II port
SIIG Firewire card using TI chipset
Antec Gaming Series One steel case
500 watt power supply
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition x64
Virtual Audio Cable software
All the popular Ham Software, already installed and configured for Day 1 use!
System tuned to the max for Software Defined Radios by Neal Campbell, K3NC

All systems come with 1 year warranty, with any problems, in either hardware or installation, shipping covered free of charge. Applications installed on computer are supported by their authors, not Abroham Neal.

Price: $949.99    

Post #5785
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:06am