Flexwire jack
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flexwire jack Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:31 PM
I am wiring up my external modem  and planned to use the flexwire port on the back of the flex 5k for my interconnection. I noticed there is no provision for PTT line within the flexwire port, what is up with that?  Seems the flex wire port should have some way to key the radio. (Vox is not an option because of need for fast switching.)
Post #561
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:29 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Friday, August 30, 2019 8:35 AM
YOU CAN NOT DO THIS!

There have been no FlexWire devices created yet (two are in the works) and you can not just connect any device to it. The specs for FlexWire have not yet been published This is an I2C communications bus, not a com port.

Connecting non-FlexRadio approved devices to the FlexWire port can damage your radio and probably will not be covered under warranty repair.

Review carefully page 8-9 in the FLEX-5000 Owners Manual

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #562
Posted Monday, March 10, 2008 1:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Then what good is it?

( I have read the manual.)

Post #564
Posted Monday, March 10, 2008 11:12 AM

You have to think out of the "box" to fully understand it's potential. It is an I2C (pronounced eye squared see) communications bus. It allows I2C specific devices to communicate bidirectionally directly with the radio hardware to external devices using a variety of hardware interfaces and protocols. Read this Wiki page on I2C for more details.

There are several I2C devices in various stages of development. Although I can't provide details at this point because of the stage of development they are in, but one of them is an upgrade to the UCB (universal controller board) which is described in the KB and a device that will allow interfacing to external amplifiers with and without automatic band switching of any type.

If you are tying to connect a tor type modem, the easy and quick way is use the RCA connectors (audio out, audio in and PTT) on the FLEX-5000 back panel. A more advanced way would be to create a FlexWire device that emulates (interfaces to) a physical RS-232 comport.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #565
Posted Monday, March 10, 2008 1:30 PM
Forum Newbie

I am using the RCA jacks for a soundcard setup. Works great. 

Since the flexwire port is not being used at this time, why not take advantage of the pinouts for other needs. (an external modem)

Why not make use of the flexwire port, Pins 9 and 2 which are directly connected to the RCA Jacks; the only thing missing for my needs (within the Flexwire port) is a PTT pin. With a PTT pin, the flexwire port can act as a data-port until such time as I2C data gadgets are developed.

I did not suggest anyone use the flexwire port as a comport.

( I do wish the flex had one or two serial ports.)

Careful reading of the manual says that the audio pins 9 and 2 of the flexwire jack are parralled to the RCA Jacks on the back of the unit. The console audio mixer controls these levels.

If you can believe the manual, I don't see the problem in making use of these pins.  What do you know about this that is not in the manual?

Post #566
Posted Monday, March 10, 2008 3:24 PM

True, the pins are audio in and out and could be used for that purpose. PTT is not exposed on the FlexWire connector I suspect by design, but I can't say for sure, because Gerald did the design. You could e-mail him directly and ask the question.

The problem is not actually making use of the pins, *if used properly*. The problem is the FlexWire port can be mistaken for a different function other than what it was intended for because of the use of a 9-pin d-sub female connector as the external interface.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #567
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:04 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:57 PM
Just a ping to the counter for people eagerly awaiting the FlexWire products, ESPECIALLY the new "UCB" product. I am working on a set of VHF and up transverters, much like Mike, KM0T, and will be very interested in getting that product by this summer.

Ed
WB0VHF
Post #569
Posted Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:08 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 13, 2009 7:47 AM
Tim, I was wondering if the automatic band switching that Ameritron now offers with their ALS 600 and ALS 500 amplifiers might be able to work with the Flexwire output?  From what I understand Ameritron has an interface that allows their amplifier to be controlled by data output from many transceivers. 

If you have not heard of this, I will try and do some more research on just what data is required and the format needed.  Goal is to control the bandswitching of the amplifier with the SDR-5000.  The SDR-1000 with collector output would have worked well for this application.

Hank

K9LZJ

Post #1661
Posted Thursday, December 1, 2011 7:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 2, 2011 10:45 AM
Is there an update to the development of a device that will allow interfacing to external amplifiers with and without automatic band switching utilizing the FlexWire interface?
Post #5169
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 9:36 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
Wow it would be nice if the transverter can work with the 3000 as well.
Post #5217
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 6:21am