Flex 3000 v 5000
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 3000 v 5000 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:16 AM
I am going to buy a Flex 3K or 5K but am having a terrible internal debate with myself on how to justify the additional cost of the 5K. 

Can someone give me 3 reasons that would cause me to want to buy the 5K over the 3K. 

Thanks

Ken

W9KRD

W9KRD

Post #5327
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 2:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:46 PM
Im in the same boat. I really want the Flex 5k for AM so the 20khz capability is more inticing but the price would force me to have to unload my Pro3 which i still really enjoy and would hate to part with. I guess the new software for the 3000 will allow a max of 9khz on AM.  
Post #5329
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:36 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:16 AM
Good point. Thanks for the information on AM.  I did not catch tat during my research.  But is that a hardware or a software limitation?

W9KRD
Post #5336
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:34 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
I believe the AM tx bandwidth limitation was more of a firmware/marketing discision rather than a hardware limitation.

Do to differences in the A-D converters used, the 3k will have a bit less dynamic range on receive ( but still very good ) and only have half the maximum 'span' on the Panadaptor.

The other differences have to do with how you are able to integrate them into your station. The 3K has basic hardware interface features while the 5k has more flexibility and future expandablity.

I am told the fan in the 3K is noisier. YMMV

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #5338
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:09 PM
1.   The F5K was on my "bucket list"

2.   The DSP functionality has given me a 3 dB improvement inambient noise reduction

3.   I wanted the flexibility of a small package where I can add various antennas and receivers

Peter W1UU

Post #5345
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:49 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
I don't know if I can give 3 reasons, I own a Flex 3000 so hear is my thought.

I have loved my 3000 and I am never really wanting for more, it just does it all well.

The big thing for me is the ability to upgrade the radio, this can not be done with the 3000.

On the 5000 you can buy the basic model than add to it later. Lets say you don't need the antenna tuner since it is working with an amp, so the tuner would always be in standby anyways. Lets say later you my want the extra receiver, than it can be installed. You may want to use 2 meters on the 5000, so you can!. So the upgradability is important.

Another reason is the many antenna connections options on the back not to mention all the other connections for a bunch of things that can connect to it.

If it were not for the LED light on the front you may not know if it is on,,you just can't hear it,,on the 3000 the fans make lots of noise.

I plan to upgrade to the 5000 soon for the reasons I just stated. The 3000 is a wonderful radio but one needs to think of ones needs now and looking to the future to see if those needs change.

I bought the F3000 for this one reason, BANG for the BUCK. There just is nothing out there for $1.700 or so that can hold a candle to it unless you get into the $7.000 range. Just that simple.

Post #5347
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 5:12am