New user / Problems with used flex-1500, is my hardware working correctly.
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

New user / Problems with used flex-1500, is... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:09 PM
I have just bought an second hand flex-1500.
But it seems that i have some difficulties with that - least on psk-31
and there seems to be lots of rx spikes all around on the bands witch can been seen from the SDR waterwall.

See the picture.

All those spike lines normal when receiving signal ? They all all the bands and seems to originate from 12Mhz.
Even without antenna - but not so strong - is this hardware related / normal.

Second thing is when i´m transmitting psk-31, nobody is answering,lol

I then maded small setup with my second rig/laptop and received my own psk-31 cq with that and noticed that
well no it´s not working, psk-31 signal looks fine, but hdr will not decode it ? very strange.? Then when i dropped power
very very low then system started to decode psk-31 just fine. But when i increased the ouput (say >5% and over)
decoding stopped.

I activated the tuning signal from the sdr and noticed from my second receiver/ hdr that it´s waterwall window is full of lines all over the band when flex is transmitting. I then went to the garage and took my old ts-430 and sended with that few watts of CW to confirm that there is only only single line and yes there was only one line on that band.

So is it normal that flex has spikes all around when receiving and transmitting ? Or is my hardware broken ?
My powersource is an 12v battery.
Any ideas, please.

Oh and is it normal that sdr s meter shows S3-5 even without antenna. ?

Thank you
Jari / OH2KZK

Post Attachments 
flex-1500_01.jpg (22 views, 159.24 KB)
Post #5296
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 3:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:03 AM
Jari,

I have not done much on PSK-31, but looking at your picture, first thing I have noticed is the CPU at 100%, this certainly does not allow your radio to operate.

the AGC T all the way to the max might a bit too aggressive, default is 90

without antenna, you should have a noise floor around -120/125dBm (depending on filter bandwidth/preamp)

73, Clay
Post #5298
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 7:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi,

Usually my cpu load is 15% that 100% was just because i took picture when running some other high load application,
no an actual qso situation. Main reason for the picture was to show those weird lines in waterwall - if anybody can confirm that
they have them also visible...So that i know that my hardware is working ok or not.

I also tryed SDR on my laptop and same lines visible there too.
(both were battery operated (flex and my laptop) without ac/dc power, so the lines are not case of poor psu or rfi, i guess)

I got my psk-31 working - and my first qso with flex. Signal isn´t pretty but least it´s working somehow.
I must do more digging what is happening over there.

But please, could flex 1500 owners confirm that do you have those 1Khz separated waterwall lines visible too ?

OH2KZK/Jari
Post #5299
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 5:34 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:00 PM
Jari,

It looks like 'birdies' from your PC, or even from your monitor!

In digi-mode your Flex-1500 filters are not too effective!

Try some toroids on your Monitor cable and pretty much anything else that plugs into the Flex..

Some people seem to like like the Flex-1500 in digi-mode, personally I think there are more issues than advantages and I prefer a simple 'SignaLink/Sound-card' interface from a separate PC - ZERO issues!

Terry
Post #5311
Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:07 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:01 AM
Jari, I agree with Terry... I have two audio hookups to my computer. One is via the USB port (VAC) while the other is via my sound card and the latter always works better. Perhaps it's because the data software prefers to work on non-processed audio.

As for your noise spikes, they seem like harmonics from something nearby. Are they still there when you change or disconnect the antenna (could give a clue as to proximity of the source).

I suggest that you use your laptop and go elsewhere (in your car, etc.), power the radio, stretch out a random wire antenna (no TX) and see if the harmonics noise is still there.

As for PSK31, have you tried using the regular modes (i.e. not DIGL or DIGU)?

Bruno, W4AFK
West Melbourne, Florida [EL98qb]

[FLEX-1500 w/Pixel RF PRO-1B HF Loop (RX) Antenna & MFJ-1786 & 1788 HF Loops (TX), HLA-150 Plus amp | TenTec RX-320D & Kenwood R-2000 w/Timewave DSP-599zx, sharing LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch HF Probe Antenna, various software packages for data modes]
Post #5323
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Bruno,Terry,

you are correct, it is something external which is giving those birdies.
I don´t know exactly what, but now the waterwall is clear of those birdies.

Things what i changed was
- bought new led monitor
- bought new longer (3m) usb cable
- usb is now connected to rear of my computer (to usb3) old was front of the computer and usb2
(front connector has long wires inside computer and the back connectors are integrated to mb.)
- flex is sitting now far away from the cpu

So some of those maded the difference.
Thanks for your support.

Jari
OH2KZK
Post #5341
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 5:11pm