Flex 1500 Regular White Noise Crash,(FM Noise).
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 1500 Regular White Noise Crash,(FM... Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:59 PM
Hello Fellow Flexers.
I've come quite along way these past few days getting acquainted with my Flex 1500.
Ive had WSPR running with good success, But I've got problems with Crashing, Loud White Noise(FM type sound) which I have to Turn the Flex 1500 Off and On to correct this.
Please any idea's. I need to be able to leave the Flex unattended but can't until this Crash is Sorted.
I could do with a quick response to this. I have read of other Flex 1500 users with the same Issue.
Happy New Year to all.
Thank you
Tony 2E0UKX / M6ENG
Post #5279
Posted Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:41 PM
Tony,

You might try >Setup >Audio >VAC,
and see if you can increase the Buffer size. That's always
a trade-off, but if its crashing now... HI HI

GL, and Happy New Year.

Guy - W6MSU

http://twitter.com/w6msu
Post #5281
Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 4:21 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Guy, Thank you for the reply.
I've been running at 1024, thought I'd be better reducing to 512?
I do think its down to VAC. Runs for some time then Crashes. Maybe a few hours or less.
I've raised the USB Driver buffer to a more aggressive setting, not full a notch below. It just kept crashing on Full.
So do you recommend Buffer size 2048 and does this have to be the same as the General Audio Buffer setting in General Audio Settings (Not VAC)?
I'll be testing this morning with no VAC, No Transmit just the radio in Receive mode.
Happy New Year.
Thank you.
Tony 2E0UKX / M6ENG
Post #5282
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:39 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
Tony,
If its the same thing that I have here, it may be a hardware related USB firmware problem...
Mine will run fine for a while and then the phones audio becomes a very load white noise.
I have discovered a few things.. If I turn down the PSDR AF control to nearly zero the audio clears up and it will run that way for a while until the audio disappears and I can run the AF at normal again... The VAC output had no such problems.
I have observed the problem only on Win 7 PC's.. Win XP PC's seem to not have the problem with the same 1500.
I have also discovered that I can insert a particular USB hub between the Win7 PC and that 1500 and the problem will not occur. ( another HUB, same brand, different model, will not have any effect. ) Its some kind of a USB related timing problem.
My 1500 has been back to Flex and was returned with a note that the problem was due to a firmware bug.
But they made no promises on a fix (six month ago ).
Most 1500's do not have this problem.
If yours is like mine, I suggest that you open a ticket at the Flex Helpdesk.

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #5285
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:05 PM

Hi,
I'm trying the USB buffer settings at one notch below Aggressive. It was set two notches lower. If I set it at Full aggressive PowerSDR freezes.
I am still trialing this so I can report after the weekend to see if the problem(CRASH Loud white Noise) persists.
Thank you for the Help.
Tony. 2E0UKX / M6ENG
Post #5288
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 8:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:51 PM
Al,

Many, many thanks!! You were dead-on with your workaround!! I just recevied my Flex-1500 this afternoon and have been beating my head against the wall trying to discover what the issue was and was on the verge of sending it back. I am experiencing the exact same scenario you have described. It was so sporatic, I couldn't identify a movement, or setting, or anything that would lead me to the cause. Same Windows 7, same ear piercing white noise in the headphones that will send someone reeling while attempting to rip those things off your head. After reading your post, I sought out an old non-powered hub from a junk box (in this case Belkin model F5U231), plugged it in, and connected the Flex-1500 to it.. Viola! no more noise.. I can wait for an upgraded firmware as long as I have this workaround and I don't have to send it back. I will still open a help ticket so that it can be tracked, but at least I can attempt to continue experimenting with the device like I was looking forward to.

73 - Joe (N3WSO)

Post #5570
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:43 PM
I was having the same problem, Installing a USB hub between the radio & Computer USB port fixed it.

Thanks for the tip

Mick

Post #6101
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:54pm