Firewire from PC montherboard ??
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Firewire from PC montherboard ?? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:49 PM
Hello,

Before i want to buy a Flex 5000A i want to know if the FirewIre capability or compatibility of any computer motherboard where this connector available is will work with my future Flex or i need another card??
The mother board i improve to buy is the MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) were is suposing to have a
1 x IEEE1394 connector .
Thanks in advance for help
Michel VE2XK
Post #5254
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 7:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 30, 2011 7:31 AM
I am using an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard and the on board Via IEEE 1394a interface. It works terrific. I had a PCI card and decided to try the motherboard interface, I didn't see any performance difference so I removed the card for simplicity. I have seen in the Flex literature that some motherboard interfaces are not as good as a PCI solution. That is not my experience here but "your mileage may vary"

de
WB1S
Post #5274
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 5:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:49 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your informations and opinion.
You right the best i will dio is to try with the motherboard capability if that work,
if not work properly i will check for a PCI E card.
Thanks again

73's Michel VE2XK
Post #5275
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, December 8, 2012 8:01 PM
Well, I have some experience on this matter..    I have a DELL XPS Studio 9000 and I also checked before I purchased a FLEX Radio..

It worked right out of the UPS package, and was really pleased.  After a period of several days, I might have to try to start the POWER SDR software several times to make it see the radio, but after it finally got going worked GREAT.    After a couple more days, got to where was nearly impossible to make the thing hook up..

After talking with support, I was informed that my Motherboard firewire was not compatible. So I ordered what they said I needed..   TODAY, I got the SIIG DP Firewire 2-Port PCIe card from UPS sent from FLEX..   MIGHT work, BUT instructions say power from motherboard is required, and the power connector is not compatible with any of my devices, so I am trying to figure out what to do..   Will it run off of motherboard PCI BUS POWER if there is such a thing..??    Is there some kind of adapter to go from what all my devices use, or what..??  No answer at this time.

I can't say if this will fix my original problem of hard to start or not..

N5YSQ Billy
Paris, TX

Post #5488
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Update

Sent off an email support to SIIG...   After hours no reply, maybe tomorrow..

Sent off an email to FLEX Support,  (and this is a deal,   **** hard to log in at times.. )

I really like the way the FLEX RADIO works, and I was working with HRD/DM780 and Logbook just like I had good sense..   How did I know that my FireWire connection was not valid..???

It worked better than anything I have had for a while..    Anyone who is planning on getting a FLEX RADIO, should at a minimum do THIS....  

If you plan on getting FLEX 5000C   might be nothing you need to do..

IF you plan on getting a FLEX 5000A, just checking if you Firewire on your computer is 400 or 800 is NOT ENOUGH..   You need to check if it has a JMicron Chipset, and if it does.  FLEX says it won't work..   Did here for a week or so, and then quit..   Next, Check if you have an available PCIe SLOT on your computer for a FireWire Card.    NEXT, make sure you have the proper POWER CONNECTORS or if they tell me tomorrow it will run off BUS POWER, no need for this..

This has been a real ordeal so far, but I really want my FLEX to work, and I have already seen the frustrations will be worth the while..   NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.. unless you get the whole thing   FLEX 5000C   in my opinion..    Have a great day...   I just took two more high blood pressure pills, and might need some additional Budweiser's...

N5YSQ Billy
Paris, TX

Post #5489
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:59 PM
Forum Newbie

2nd UPDATE

I just received a message from FLEX SUPPORT.   Coming up on 8pm here,   I will say this for them..  They are dedicated...

Support says   NO POWER IS NEEDED FOR THE PCIe card from EXTERNAL source.. Even though the instructions clearly say on the SIIG card that it is..

Will try and see what happens..   I might start singing HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN SHORTLY..

Thanks SUPPORT for you after hours work..  

By the way, I am on a backup computer system..   Signing off here, and going back to MAIN one..

N5YSQ Billy
Paris, TX

Post #5490
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:51 PM
Forum Newbie

3rd UPDATE

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 [6.1.7601]
  Number of CPUs: 8
  Installed RAM: 12278 MB

Microsoft 1394ohci.sys [6.1.7601.17514]
  Microsoft ohci1394.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)
  Microsoft 1394bus.sys [6.1.7600.16385] (legacy)

Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers...

1:
  Vendor : (104C) Texas Instruments
  Chipset: (8235) XIO2200A
  Revision: 01
  Details:
    Subsysten VendorId: 131f
    Subsystem DeviceId: 0000
    Max # isoch Rx contexts: 4
    Max # isoch Tx contexts: 4
  Max 1394 Speed Capability: S400
  Support:  Compatible, no known issues.

2:
  Vendor : (197B) JMicron Technology
  Chipset: (2380) JMB380/JMB381/JMB383
  Revision: 00
  Details:
    Subsysten VendorId: 1028
    Subsystem DeviceId: 02b7
    Max # isoch Rx contexts: Unknown
    Max # isoch Tx contexts: Unknown
  Max 1394 Speed Capability: S400
  Support:  Not compatible.
  Notes  :  This controller is not compatible with DICE drivers.

Done.

I would also like to SAY once again the SUPPORT personnel are TERRIFIC...   I consider myself somewhat knowlegable in this type of thing,  BUT,  if you do not know what to look for you tend to ASSUME things...   I DID look for my system to be FireWire 400 compatible, I DID NOT LOOK at what chipset it used.   I am happy to say, my FLEX at this time is working as advertised,  BUT,  I am also skeptical,   If works 3 times in a ROW after shutdown/Starup's I will put my FINAL STAMP of APPROVAL on it..   Have a great night..   and tomorrow or next day, I will post my final opinion..

N5YSQ Billy
Paris, TX

Post #5491
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 9:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Final Update

Well, I let the radio cook all night, had screen savers on computer start etc..

Got up to radio room this morning, and the FLEX was still running like a scared rabbit.. I will say that the proper FireWire interface made a real difference..   I would like to say one more time, that the SUPPORT folks at FLEX go the EXTRA MILE to make sure their product works like it should.   I am happy and this is the final report on this issue..

N5YSQ Billy
Paris, TX

Post #5492
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 9:16 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:45 AM
Billy,

The thousands of hams who have been enjoying the Flex radios for years do value your additional stamp of approval.  One more can't hurt. 

Flex has one of the most active user communities in the business.  Issues like the best vendors of Firewire chips have been investigated at one time or the other, and can usually be found either in the Flex Knowledge Center, the Flex users wiki, or the Flex mail list.  For example, a search in the Knowledge Center for Firewire Card will reveal that  Texas Instruments and Lucent Firewire chipsets are usually the best, and VIA or JMicron chipsets are sometimes problematic. 

The Flex wiki has a lot of good information on hooking up third party logging, amps, digi programs, and the like.  Once you start controlling half a dozen pieces of hardware and software fromn teh Flex, you will need to be patient in your configurations.   

Jim KJ2P

Post #5493
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:46 AM
When I install a code for my automatic garage doors, my PC just collapse. I don't know whats the problem.
Post #5498
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 1:09am