S meter versus Panadapter levels
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

S meter versus Panadapter levels Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:18 PM
I have noticed that the average signal levels seen on the Flex 5K S meter as compared to the panadapter seem to be quite different. For example, on 40 meters on a section of the band with no signals, the panadapter shows a very flat line centered at -110db which should correspond to and S meter reading of about S3. However, the S meter reads S6 with the meter set to either "signal" or "sig avg". That is an 18db difference which is quite large.

I checked with Dudley the other day and he indicated that the panadapter would never read as high a signal level as the S meter since the panadapter is limited by the display frame rate. He indicated that the S meter should read the correct value. I guess this translates into some difference in the sampling rate.....not sure. When I switch to my Icom, the S meter there seems to agree with the Flex panadapter much more closely. I would think the Flex should agree more closely as well. However, I don't have any first hand experience with any other panadapters. So I wondered if anyone had any thoughts/experience on this.
Post #5210
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 9:44pm