Flex 3000 Audio Output settings
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 3000 Audio Output settings Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:43 AM
I can't seem to find the correct settings for the Flex SSB audio output. I have an Elecraft K3 and the Flex. I use a 40 meter dipole,  and when I transmit on the K3 I get great signal reports. With the Flex no one seems to hear me using the same antenna and 90 watts output. I believe the numerous settings on the Flex are being misused by me. When I use the monitor the audio is badly distorted when using the mic gain above 15. I would be interested in what settings other might be using to get a decent ssb signal out. I am using the headset mic sold by Flex. Thanks for any input. Ron
Post #5133
Posted Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

I have pretty much figured out the settings for xmit and have a satisfactory output now but I find the controls very very complex,  and unnecessarily so. The audio receive on the Flex is also pretty bad; very compressed and very strong base no matter how one sets the controls on the equalizer. I accept a rather long learning curve on the Flex, but overall I don't like it and find it overrly complex to adjust and operate. I am going to check on the 30 day money back guarantee.
Post #5141
Posted Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:03 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:59 PM
Sorry to hear you're having problems with the complexity of your rig. Some of us call it "flexibility" but yeah, there's a pretty steep learning curve. Is there something in particular you're having problems with? I'm not associated with Flex, just a Flex 3000 owner for a few months but if there's something specific you're having problems with maybe I (or somebody more knowledgeable on here) can help you. I'm not at my rig, I'm out of town for Thanksgiving but I'll do what I can. Most of the problems seem to be due to an underpowered computer but it sounds like yours is just a matter of getting the settings right. There's a page to help you with setting up the transmit audio, on the receive side it's not nearly as complicated.

You can ignore the equalizer to start, just use it to fine tune things later. Pick a wide filter to start with and get it sounding like you want it, then start narrowing down the filters as needed to get rid of QRM. Leave the Noise Reduction and both noise blankers off until you get the hang of it.

If you've already boxed it up and sent it back, just ignore all this!

;-)
Kerry, WD5ABC
Post #5145
Posted Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:47 PM
I also wish I could help.  I will not be available until sunday.. If I could talk you through some settings I would be happy to.. I also had a similar problem and someone finally helped me with the settings.. It is a bit overwhelming at first but very FLEXABLE.. I have audio quality reports all the time now, and they are better than any radio I ever owned.. I have had a few very good ones.. The last one was a FT2000 with the DMU and the w2ihy audio 8 band eq using a PR40 mic.. and the audio recordings that have been played back to me from testing using my flex-3000 are far better with only a pro set plus using the hm5 selection.. ( the built in O-Scope is better than the DMU also ) I have been asked several times what kind of front end audio equipment I am using. When I report - many seem to disbelieve.. One thing, computer power is important.. I can explain how to optimize that also.. If you would like I can call you sometime on sunday or after on a sced that works for you.. If you would give me your number or we could connect on a frequency and go over the settings while on the air.. You can modify without shutting the radio off.

73 de N3SVB

Keith Hertzog

Post #5148
Posted Friday, November 25, 2011 8:27 AM
Forum Newbie

I appreciate the responses, which were posted after I decided to return to Flex 300 for a refund. I have boxed it up for return to Flex Radios. I am sure it is a fine radio. I like the filtering options in particular. However, I find the controls overdone and mostly for show, with minimal impact on actual performance.  I could never get the receive audio to a comfortable level and received poor reports on ssb. I know those who have the radio enjoy it for the most part, and I hope you continue to enjoy this fine rig. It is not for me, and I consider myself very computer-literate with several computers, laptops and an IPPOD in the house. 73 Ron
Post #5149
Posted Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:42 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:39 PM
What can you say, but hmmm. It sounds like you had your mind made up for a while to send it back Ron. Most of us has had people help us understand the settings on the flex as there are many. As it is reported by almost everyone with a Fex, the rec audio is one of the most liked about the radio. Sounds as though some things were adjusted without understanding what they realy do. the Flex is not bad out of the box with everything on default. I hope you stay with The K3 It is the only one that will come anywhere close to Flex performance. Good luck,,Bill
Post #5165
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:44 AM
Forum Newbie

I want to thank the people at Flex Radio for their excellent customer service. I returned the radio and was quickly reimbursed for the purchase. This is excellent customer support, second to none. Thank you. Ron KM4VX
Post #5201
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 11:23am