FLEX-1500 initial impressions
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FLEX-1500 initial impressions Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 10, 2011 1:30 PM
After first experiencing computer controlled radio with a Kachina 505 years ago, I was reluctant to go at it again, but the 1500 just looked so attractive, I gave it a try. Initial success was hampered by a too slow old boat PC, so I ordered up a bunch of parts and built up a real computer to dedicate to the 1500 as is suggested - this is good advice!
I had recently moved to a new QTH, so only have an incredibly poor temporary antenna up so far - it's a 120' dipole fed with 300 ohm twin lead. The antenna is 10' off the ground at most, and using an SGC auto tuner with it. This will soon be replaced with a real antenna
Anyway, I am not at all new to QRP so that aspect of it has not surprised me, but my first 2 QSOs from VA with the 1500 were on 10m SSB with France and the Netherlands - that's encouraging considering the antenna!
What has been most surprising and fun to me is the quality of the receiver. I have never owned any real high buck rigs, but this rx is amazing IMO. It compares very favorably with my TS-2000 and in some (most?) respects is definitely better. The filtering capability and range of adjustment is just fantastic, and the rx audio is the best I have ever heard. I love the synchronous AM capability too! I plan on using the 1500 as a receiver with my boat anchors after I have them back in service at the new QTH. When I finish my Johnson Desk KW restoration project, I can use the Desk as an amp for the 1500 on SSB - 2 or 3 watts drive with the Desk will give full legal output on SSB, and I can use it on AM with it as the rx - how's that for combining the new with the old?
All around, the 1500 is a great little radio with lots of flexibility and a major fun factor. BTW, using the Hercules DJ controller (~$80) as a "hard knob" UI and the free software from Tobias, DH1TW with the 1500 is really great way to go. I find I am simultaneously using the mouse with my right hand and operating the console with my left, resulting in a great UI experience. For anyone that just has to have a radio with knobs but likes the SDR concept and benefits, there is no excuse not to buy a Flex!
Post #5007
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:01 AM
It is good to use. Looking forward to this.

gjghj
Post #5014
Posted Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 4, 2011 11:45 PM
Have you replaced a new antenna with your old one, hope you got a boost up in the signals.

Tim Manning
Post #5077
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:53pm