Setting bands for General Shortwave listening
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Setting bands for General Shortwave listening... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:44 PM
Hi All,

I have a 1500, and was wondering if the shortwave listening bands come pre-loaded or if I can add bands.

I access the shortwave through the General button on the Band area.

THanks

Wayneo

"Success is defined as consistency to purpose"
Benjamin Disraeli

Post #4657
Posted Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:22 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:01 AM
Same question here... but add Utility Monitoring to the list.

Essentially, I manually entered a lot of data into the Memory of PowerSDR. Their new v2.1.5 makes this a lot easier. However, PowerSDR is still not compatible with COTS databases for SWL and UTILITY monitoring which means that you need to enter that data manually.

As for the bands, this radio is "ham-centric" so it focuses on those capabilities. I too would have loved to have a GEN section.
By the way, as you can configure third-party apps to recognize the FLEX-1500 as a Kenwood TS-2000, I will try 3rd party apps like N4PY's Pegasus Pro. I use that software with my TenTec RX-320D "black box" receiver and it does offer you a SWL bank amongst other things. You can try it out before you license it (Google search N4PY software).

With regards to what's out there, SDR products like WinRadio's "Excalibur Pro" are much better suited for monitoring. I seriously considered that radio before buying the FLEX-1500. What clinched it for me was that this is a transceiver coupled to the excellent reviews about the FLEX' receive capabilities. The Excalibur Pro is almost triple the price of the FLEX-1500 but it's one heck of a radio! Who knows... I might get one to replace my TenTec RX-320D receiver (need the minister of finance's approval first, aka The Wife™ ;-)

Bruno, W4AFK
West Melbourne, Florida [EL98qb]

[FLEX-1500 w/Pixel RF PRO-1B HF Loop (RX) Antenna & MFJ-1786 & 1788 HF Loops (TX), HLA-150 Plus amp | TenTec RX-320D & Kenwood R-2000 w/Timewave DSP-599zx, sharing LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch HF Probe Antenna, various software packages for data modes]
Post #4669
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:49am