Flex 3000 Firewire cable question
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 3000 Firewire cable question Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:59 PM
Does the 3000 come with a firewire cable? If not, does it just use a normal 6-pin connector?

Tnx,
Kerry, WD5ABC
Post #4637
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:14 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, September 9, 2012 9:17 PM
Hi Kerry,

My Flex 5000A did come with a Firewire cable, and the statement below from the Flex 3000 warranty page makes me think that the 3000 comes with one as well:

"Product may be returned for full credit only within 30 days from shipment if it is returned in new condition with all cables, software, documentation and in the original packing materials."

As I recall, my box had a very substantial power cable and a firewire cable to facilitate setup. Flex wants you to be able to receive your box from the shipper and be able to get on the air within a few minutes. I have never heard a story of anyone lamenting the fact that they did not have a firewire cable when they went to install. When you place your order, you can certainly ask about it. Everyone I have ever spoken with at Flex has been very friendly and motivated to find answers to any question I've ever asked. The link below from the Flex Knowledge Base does indicate that a firewire cable is provided with every Flex that requires one (3000/5000).

http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50400.aspx?Keywords=firewire+cable

The optional "Granite Digital" firewire cable recommended for desktop systems that is sold by Flex is a 6-pin to 6-pin cable. They also sell a 4-pin to 6-pin cable which I believe is recommended for laptop/notebook systems. I suspect that there is information about that in the Flex Knowledge Base.

http://cart.flexradio.com/Granite-Digital-6-to-6-pin-Firewire-Cable-_p_23.html
http://cart.flexradio.com/Granite-Digital-4-to-6-pin-Firewire-Cable_p_22.html

Good luck!

Rob W1AEX

[Flex 5000A]
Post #4639
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:05 PM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:59 PM
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed to know! The link you posted mentions the firewire cables that come with the radios so it sounds like I'll be good to go. I have a cable that I use for my video camera on a different computer so I can steal it if I need to.

I just sold my Flex 1500 last weekend and am back to my FT-990, a great rig but after using the Flex I feel handicapped and very limited by not being able to QSY as easily and not being able to see the transmit and receive frequencies of DX stations working split.

I'm going to pick up a 3000 at the Austin hamfest in a couple of weeks so I wanted to be prepared, I've already got a new firewire card on order so I can have it installed before the hamfest. Until then I'll just have to stick with the Yaesu, for now I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to be ready for the 3000.

73 and thanks for your help!
Kerry, WD5ABC
Post #4642
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:19am