FLEX 5000A pre-amp stage blown ?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FLEX 5000A pre-amp stage blown ? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:01 PM
I bought my new Flex 5000a while at Dayton this past May 2011. I brought it home and had one QSO on it, and it worked well and I was a happy camper. I then went away on vacation, and only recently got back.
I was listening this morning on my 5000 to a station on 40 meters, while i was doing other admin work. I was running the display in Panafall mode with the preamp switched ON.
All of a sudden the waterfall display turned black, signals dropped right down to barely audible. Both the station I was listening to, and the band noise floor had dropped incredibly low.
I switched the preamp OFF, and signals and noise floor came up by 2 -3 s units. I then turn the preamp ON again, and it deafens the receiver again almost like switching a RX attenuator on.

I tried changing antenna ports - to ANT2, same problem. I tried powering down and restarting my computer and also the Flex 5000. Aftfer restarting the problem is still there.

It appears to me that the preamp stage has blown ? I have only had one QSO on this rig, and it has only been in receive mode for a total of about 40 minutes !!!!

No, I was not transmitting on another transceiver on the same band to cause the preamp to blow - I was doing some admin work in the office while I was using the 5000A as a receiver.

Any ideas ? I am located on the other side of the world from Texas, which makes this problem more anxious for me

John - ZS5J
Post #4586
Posted Monday, July 4, 2011 10:19 AM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, September 9, 2012 9:17 PM
Hi John,

Sorry to hear about the preamp issue. It certainly could be a hardware failure, but there are other possibilities as well, including a setting in PowerSDR that may have been toggled or corrupted. I wonder if you have tried re-setting to a fresh database? A clean database with default values will let you determine if the issue is a software setting. If that doesn't resolve it, I would definitely contact Flex Support and they can walk you through other possibilities. On the rare occasions when I've needed assistance with my 5K, I have received excellent support from Flex through their published email address:

support@flex-radio.com

I hope it's something simple!

Regards,

Rob W1AEX

[Flex 5000A]
Post #4587
Posted Monday, July 4, 2011 11:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 4, 2011 11:24 AM
Sounds like a blown or faulty Solid State Switch on the Matrix board.  RF coming into the antenna socket will cause this.  Sounds like your Pre-amp is working okay.

Mike

Post #4589
Posted Monday, July 4, 2011 1:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for your response Rob and Mike.

Yes, I did an uninstall of PowerSDR, and did a complete fresh install, and the problem persists. Pushing the preamp switch acts like an attenuator, and with preamp enabled, I am unable to hear anything but the strongest of broadcast stations.

Right after I posted this thread, I also sent an email to support@flex, so perhaps they have experienced this problem before and can guide me to a fix.

I was so excited about this purchase, that I also bought and imported a new Flex 1500A last week. That rig continues to work very well, so at least I am not totally Flex-less

Thanks again and 73

John - ZS5J
Post #4590
Posted Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Dudley has been in touch with me by email, and has been extremely helpful regarding this matter, so I will stop posting here, and will continue resolving this issue through the support@flex channel.

FWIW, Dudley got me to do a factory reset, and run a production test routine, which turned out showing that there was indeed a preamp fault, along with 11 other faults in my new Flex-5000A

John, ZS5J
Post #4595
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:28am