CW keyer delay/miss-timing on 1st character
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

CW keyer delay/miss-timing on 1st character Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 15, 2011 9:04 AM
Hi all,

Just got my 3000 and all good except one problem with CW keyer timing. 

CW mode, Iambic key, Internal keyer - the 1st "dit" I send at any time is significantly longer or shorter than the subsequent string of "dits".  Usually it sends as a longer character than subsequent/following dits.  IE: If I just hold the dit paddle, it sends one character that is almost a "dah" then a string of accurately timed "dits" as normal until I release the paddle.  Sometimes (no particular patern to the behavior) it sends a very short character then a string of normal "dits"

If I use an external keyer and hit the "dit" paddle, it's always long.  In fact the first character is definatey as long as a "dah" then a long string of "dits" at normal timing until the key is released.

I've tried "strict character timing", changing buffer sizes, ramp and different character speeds.  It has this problem all the way down to about 12WPM.   

Any suggestions?  It would be nice if this can be fixed as one of the main reasons I got this radio was for the narrrow filter control in CW mode. Not much good if I cant send.

Yours,

Dene - VK5DO

Yours,
Dene
VK5DO

Post #4518
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:07 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:47 PM
Based on my recent experience with the same thing, I'd suspect
a little Rf causing the problem. I've had similar on 17m, had a USB keyboard
that went away, a mouse that was liable to disppear , and a Bencher paddle that
did exactly what you mentioned. I shortened the length of the
cable on the key, and wound 5-6 turns in the coax for a choke on the antenna in question, problem went away.
Post #4530
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:00 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, September 5, 2011 3:45 PM
I am having the same problem. Have you solved yours? If so, how? On mine, if I use an external keyer, no problem. It is only when I use the internal keyer that the problem appears.
Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

doehme (6/24/2011)
Hi all,

Just got my 3000 and all good except one problem with CW keyer timing.

CW mode, Iambic key, Internal keyer- the 1st "dit" I sendat any time is significantly longer or shorter than the subsequent string of "dits". Usually it sends as a longer character than subsequent/following dits. IE: If I just hold the dit paddle, it sends one character that is almost a "dah" then a string of accurately timed "dits" as normal until I release the paddle. Sometimes (no particular patern to the behavior) it sends a very short character then a string of normal "dits"

If I use an external keyer and hit the "dit" paddle, it's always long. In factthe first character is definatey as long as a "dah" then a long string of "dits" at normal timing until the key is released.

I've tried "strict character timing",changing buffer sizes, ramp anddifferent character speeds. It has this problem all the way down to about 12WPM.

Any suggestions? It would be nice if this can be fixed as one of the main reasons I got this radio was for the narrrow filter control in CW mode. Not much good if I cant send.

Yours,

Dene - VK5DO
Post #4553
Posted Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:20 PM
Dene, can you please describe your antenna and proximity to the shack. I am thinking an RF issue also. Using the internal, or an external keyer, and the latest official release of PowerSDR, I have not experienced what you describe. I operate almost exclusively CW. Never a hitch with the Flex.

73 - Luke
Post #4565
Posted Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:51 AM
Forum Newbie

And as a good diagnostic, try operating your Flex into a dummy load on CW and listening with a nearby RX. Or for that matter, you could try dialing the transmitter power on the 3K way, way, down. But the load test would be more reliable.
Post #4566
Posted Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 15, 2011 9:04 AM
Thanks for the replys. 

It will do it even on a dummy load and/or with the Drive at zero.  I've got it to a point where it almost works by working in SafeMode2.  As such I can send at up to 22WPM before it freaks out.  The main problem is my computer's not really up to the task I suspect.  It's only an old P4 so at this stage I'm not stressing about it until I get a better PC.

Yours,
Dene
VK5DO

Post #4569
Posted Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi Dene,

I have no experience operating a Flex via a "legacy" computer, so I cannot offer any advice. I think you are on the right track.

I can tell you that on my faster computer (not a screamer by any means, just a generic department store box) I operate CW without hiccups, and without any buffer / settings voodoo on my part. It just worked out of the box.

In fact if not for the scarey relay racket, my 3000 is capable of QSK up to about 35 WPM.

Hopefully a computer guru will chime in.

Luke
Post #4572
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 6:17am