Flex 1500 and Ham Radio Deluxe
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 1500 and Ham Radio Deluxe Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:48 PM
Hi -- I am expecting to receive my Flex 1500 on Monday and am getting ready for it. One of the things I really want to do is to use the Flex 1500 with Ham Radio Deluxe, and HRD's sister programs of HRD Logbook (version 5) and DMS 780. I have spent hours here looking at the Flex Knowledge Base, looking at messages here and on the HRD support Forums. But nothing really seems to put everything together as many messages are older and refer to older softwares or talk about one area to the exclusion of others, etc. What I understand thus far is to download and install VAC following a nice guide in the Knowledge Base. However it is very unclear to me if I will need Com0com or similar program as well to handle the PTT? Also I am at a loss to understand the way that Ham Radio Deluxe itself will support Flex 1500 although my reading here seems to indicate I should get the MiniDeluxe program to avoid various lags.

I know this is a lot to ask but it would just be wonderful if someone who has done this could take the time to detail a step-by-step guide as to how to get the Flex Radio 1500 working with HRD and HRD Logbook and DMS 780 on both receive and transmit. From ground zero through use. I know that will duplicate some parts of what is here but, on the other hand, if everything was in one spot, current, and presented in a logical order that could save newbies like myself days, even weeks of work. Any help? Thanks es 73!

PS: Sorry for any confusion as I posted this in the 5000 area by mistake and could not totally delete it there. Sigh.
Post #4451
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 12:19 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:47 AM
Neil,

Setting up HRD, MixW, FLDigi they all have their different way to configure them.   HRD only needs the CAT link to talk to PowerSDR,  and just like MixW,  you will need a virtual serial port generator to get HRD talking to PowerSDR (unless you do it the old way of connecting two serial ports together)   You can use Com0Com,   or most use VSP Manager from Steve,  K5FR..    Once you have a couple of pairs of virtual serial ports connected ,  (usually  something like Com6 to Com16,  and Com7 to Com17)    you will be ready to bring up HRD. 

Connect the PowerSDR CAT to one end of the first virtual com pair,  say com16,  Go to Setup => CAT => CAT  (Com16) ,  then select CAT Enable.

Bring up HRD,  Create a new Connection,  for TS2000,  then set Com port to Com 6.   then connect. 

You should see the HRD console window. 

Now for moving the audio to DM780 or anyother Digitial program,  you will need to go to

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

You want to purchase version 4.09 instead of the current version 4.10..  and setup VAC according to Knowledge Center article,  (you just type VAC)  in the search window.

http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50230.aspx

Note if you are running Win7/64  you will need to ask for the 4.09 signed version for 64 bit. 

In Setup of PowerSDR Audio tab => VAC  ,  "Driver" WDM-KS  Input is Virtual Line 1 and output is Virtual line 2.

In DM780,  Set the Input to the output of PowerSDR or Virtual Line 2 and the Output of DM780 goes to the Virtual Line 1, input of PowerSDR.    That gets the audio to DM780 ..

For the PTT I like the separate PTT control,  so set PTT in PowerSDR to Com17 with RTS set, then enable.

In DM780 set the other end,  com7 in the PTT of the Options window of DM780.  Now when you TX in DM780,  the radio will key.. 

All the programs setup the same way,  just have different menus to set them up in..

Call me if you can't figure it out.

Dudley

Dudley

FlexRadio Systems Support
512-535-4713, Option 2
http://helpdesk.flexradio.com

Post #4452
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 6:30 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Thanks, it is beginning to make sense. I will probably have lots of questions once the 1500 actually arrives and I try to implement all of this. Right now, I'll just download the software. One quick thing: Why choose the TS2000 setting on HRD's connect page when HRD 5.0 also has a Flexradio/PowerSDR choice which I had expected I would be using? Thanks very much!
Post #4456
Posted Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:06 AM

Thanks, I got HRD working with Flex today, control, logbook and dms780! I haven't noticed the problems other reported that Minideluxe gets around so haven't tried that yet. PowerSDR is so complete, tho, that I am really not much using HRD for control. My main goals were to use the SWL database in HRD (it shows you what sw programs are on when and tunes with a click from the schedule) and PSK31 on DMS780 as well as having the logbook track the Flex's frequency. All working 100%. Thank you for the help!
Post #4467
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 1:26pm