ALC on Flex 5000
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

ALC on Flex 5000 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 13, 2011 3:33 PM
I finally got my new Flex 5000A operational over the weekend. I have noticed that operating the radio at 100% drive my WaveNode meter is displaying 112-120 watts on peaks (SSB). Getting good signal and audio reports however I am a bit worried that I'm over driving the radio. Also using an EQ+ on the front end and feel I have all adjusted properly. Is there a procedure for adjusting ALC?

Al

Post #4443
Posted Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:23 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
AL,
Unlike many other radios, the flex ALC is an all software thing.. i.e. no feedback from the PA.

The PA in the F5k is quite rugged and immune to a bit of overdrive.. If your concerned, just back off on the drive a bit..
(my F5K will show 145 watts out on 15m at 100% drive.. )

If you have concerns about setting up the transmit chain and ALC see :

http://flexradiowiki.com/frsradoiowiki/index.php?title=Setting_Audio_Gain

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #4446
Posted Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:34 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 13, 2011 3:33 PM
Thanks Al,

Being software driven I thought that was the case. Just wanted to be sure, didn't want to blow the thing up before I got off the ground!

Al

Post #4448
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 9:14 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:45 AM
The Flex can handle 100% power (CW Key down) forever, according to Gerald.  SSB peaks over 100 watts will not blow up the amp, but you may be clipping the audio. 

A much worse clipping condition is caused by ALC peaks over 0dB. This is noticeable and annoying.  Don't let that happen.  To avoid this, check out the the Flex wiki article on how to tune the different audio stages to get good power and no ALC clipping.   It's very worthwhile.      

Post #4455
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:52am