Flex-1500 as Shortwave Receiver
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex-1500 as Shortwave Receiver Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:10 PM
I am considering purchasing the Flex-1500 to use primarily as a shortwave receiver for commercial international transmissions.

I see in the spec sheet the following "Receiver Frequency Range (MHz) [optimized for amateur bands] 0.01 – 54 MHz". What does "optimized amateur bands" mean?

What are your experiences?

How well does the Synchronous AM work?

Thanks

Scott - KD7WCE
Post #4428
Posted Monday, June 6, 2011 11:32 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:01 AM
ScottC (6/5/2011)
I am considering purchasing the Flex-1500 to use primarily as a shortwave receiver for commercial international transmissions.

I see in the spec sheet the following "Receiver Frequency Range (MHz) [optimized for amateur bands] 0.01 – 54 MHz". What does "optimized amateur bands" mean?

What are your experiences?

How well does the Synchronous AM work?

Thanks

Scott - KD7WCE

Scott, I am using my FLEX-1500 as a SW and Utility receiver for now. I made this choice after reading the review in the current Monitoring Times. They rated the receiver as one of the best around. By "optimized for amateur bands", I believe that they are mainly referring to the TX side. BTW, you can have the radio unlocked (TX everywhere) if you have a valid FCC license (Experimental). In this case, the published specs are not guaranteed when the radio is used outside of the ham bands.

Up to now (one week of use), I have used it to receive HF data (3rd party software for PSK31, RTTY, FAX, JT65, etc.), voice (AM, S-AM & SSB) and DRM (3rd party DRM software). I have been very happy. S-AM works fine.

The FLEX-1500 is so customizable that at times one gets lost in the settings. For example, the DSP based noise reduction does a great job... but not everyone understands the relationship between "taps, delay, gain, leak". One just wants to adjust the aggressiveness but you almost need a training course to understand the relationship between these items (sigh).

If there was one item I do miss is an Ethernet port. As it stands, the only easy way to remote control this puppy is by making sure you leave a computer connected to your FLEX-1500 and then using a remote access application (Go-to-my-PC, etc.).

Bruno, W4AFK
West Melbourne, Florida [EL98qb]

[FLEX-1500 w/Pixel RF PRO-1B HF Loop (RX) Antenna & MFJ-1786 & 1788 HF Loops (TX), HLA-150 Plus amp | TenTec RX-320D & Kenwood R-2000 w/Timewave DSP-599zx, sharing LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch HF Probe Antenna, various software packages for data modes]
Post #4431
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:03 AM
Hi....having recently purchased my Flex 1500 soley for using it for broadcast band listening and i am finding it is better than my Perseus.......
Post #6063
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:34am