Remote Operation of the FLEX-1500 via a LAN/WAN?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Remote Operation of the FLEX-1500 via a... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:01 AM
Has anyone setup their FLEX-1500 for remote operation via a LAN connection?

Due to antenna restrictions where I live, I am setting up a remote base at a friend's house (ham friend ;-). The link will be a fast cable modem connection and I have no problems with that part.

As the FLEX-1500 doesn't have an IP port, I am curious to learn how some of you got around this limitation.

Now I have my own ideas and I am ready to share them... but I am also interested in reading about other experiences in this area.

Bruno, W4AFK
West Melbourne, Florida [EL98qb]

[FLEX-1500 w/Pixel RF PRO-1B HF Loop (RX) Antenna & MFJ-1786 & 1788 HF Loops (TX), HLA-150 Plus amp | TenTec RX-320D & Kenwood R-2000 w/Timewave DSP-599zx, sharing LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch HF Probe Antenna, various software packages for data modes]
Post #4377
Posted Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:22 PM
I am interested in this as well. I would write a check today if it can...

Mike - N8MSA
Post #4388
Posted Monday, May 30, 2011 9:57 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:48 PM
Hi guys-

All though I have not done it yet with my 1500, as I'm 1200 miles away on business with my company, HRD- Ham Radio Deluxe lends itself to "remote" control. It's a free download...HRD uses an IP address to communicate with other programs in the suite like DM780

2-3 years ago I was running HRD in my basement on a ICOM 756proII and could run PSK31 contacts from my laptop upstairs over my local network.. I got as far as adding a auto-tuner (SGC) so I could change bands. that was my limitation, I could not re-tune a double extended zepp with open wire feed till I added the SGC tuner. I also was only using PSK31 at the time. Now DM870 supports about 30 digital modes.

A second option to look into is LOGMEIN.COM... allows remote control of a PC... I have PC's in New Hampshire at one home and my Daughters in Rochester, NY and While I'm in Detroit, or Wichita, Kansas I can log in, and run anything on their computer..I'll "fix"my daughters computer while talking to her on the phone, hopefully she'll learn what I'm doing. LOGMEIN.COM's remote PC program even allows you to turn on your computer remotely if it is connected to the internet via a direct connection, but powered down (wake on LAN feature).

I use the FREE version. It does not allow fire transfers, but you can "file transfer" to the remote computer by e-mailing the file to yourself and read the email on the remote machine then download the attachment to the remote. A bit longer to do but free is free and no one is tighter with a penny than an extra class ham or a scotchmen...
Post #4392
Posted Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:59 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:01 AM
"LogMeIn" is an alternative. I use "Go-To-My-PC" which is very similar (I manage my home computer, my wife's computer and when needed, our daughter's computer (she is in San Diego)). However, my goal (if possible) is to not require a computer on the radio end.

Raytheon offers a device called the "NXU-2A" and HRO offers a $500 solution called "RemoteRig". Both take TX/RX audio, PTT and RS232, mux it and send it over the Ethernet. On the other end, you install the other box and the it converts the IP stream into TX/RX audio, PTT and RS232 data. It is as if you had a wire connection.

The Flex-1500 only offers a USB interface so I might not have any option here.

Bruno, W4AFK
West Melbourne, Florida [EL98qb]

[FLEX-1500 w/Pixel RF PRO-1B HF Loop (RX) Antenna & MFJ-1786 & 1788 HF Loops (TX), HLA-150 Plus amp | TenTec RX-320D & Kenwood R-2000 w/Timewave DSP-599zx, sharing LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch HF Probe Antenna, various software packages for data modes]
Post #4400
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 5:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 30, 2011 5:33 PM
Hi

I'm also interested in this idear, and have partly 'solved' the problem by using a CAT5 USB2 extender which works flawlessly around the house.

Being the device is USB I intilialy thought that I could put it over a 100Mb LAN using a Belkin USB network hub. I already use these for remote sound in/out, Serial ports (FTDI, not prolific as I find these at best unreliable) and for throwing video around.

However using the 1500 over said device just causes my PC to blue screen.

Two thoughts about this. i) Duff drivers ii) so much data coming down the pipe, the Hub/driver can't cope. I'm using a DELL dual core 3.2GHz on Win7x64, so don't think lack of grunt is the problem at the client end.

I note the original SDR used firewire, which made me think this is probably bandwidth related so I presume it's a full USB 2 device, and uses a fair percentage of it's theoretical bandwidth is 480 Mbit/s I have Gigabit, but the Belkin hub dosen't have gigabit ports.

However, working nativley across ADSL maybe asking a bit too much. At best I can only manage 1Mb/s uplink to the internet so remote desktop or even a citrix type solution maybe an answer or as prevoulsy mentioned, a VPN with HRD/an.other

MarkA/G6RZA
Sussex by the Sea, England.
Post #5276
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:26am