5000A SWR Meter issue
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

5000A SWR Meter issue Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, February 21, 2011 3:47 PM
Hello,

I have a 5000A and am experiencing an issue with the SWR meter is PSDR. I do not have the internal ATU on the 5000A. I have the F5K hooked to an Ameritron AL-80B AMP and an LDG AT-1000Pro Autotuner. The system all works fine, however I am noticing that the PSDR SWR reading on TX during TUNE is NOT correct. Both the LDG Tuner and the LP-100A digital meter show the same SWR but PSDR shows the SWR much higher. Since it is reading higher SWR, the RF output is being reduced and therefor not able to produce 100W.

I have the system hooked up as follows:
Flex-5000A>AL-80B AMP>LP-100A Meter>AP-1000Pro Tuner>Antenna

I am using the following software:
Windows 7 x64
Flex Firewire Driver 3.5.2.8028
PAL version 3.5.2.8028
PowerSDR 2.0.16
Firmware 2.0.7.0

I saw previous posts for other similar issues that state the user should rebuild the DB. Is this a good idea? Will I lose all my settings?

Any thoughts?

Adam
W4GOV
Post #3818
Posted Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:47 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, February 21, 2011 3:47 PM
I reset the DB and the issue is still there. The SWR meter from within PSDR is not reflecting what two (inline) meters are showing for SWR. This is resulting in reduced RF power output. with the AMP inline, or out, the problem is the same.

I am stuck at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Adam
Post #3819
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:10 PM

Last Login: Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:56 AM
What you are seeing is the SWR between the Flex and the AMP, you may need to adjust the input circuit on the amp to lower the SWR.

I know this post is a year old but since no one ever replied I figured I would. I had the same issue with my old TL-922A, and my latest amp a Commander HF-2500 needed a little tweak as well.
Post #5318
Posted Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:02 AM
I have the same problem and that is with a 50 ohm load right in port 1 or 3 of the flex 5000. This started in November and nothing has fixed the problem. It is worse on 160 Meters and now I can't use 160 at all as even when the swr is good on the ATR30 and Big MFJ meter the Flex says the SWR is a 2.0 : 1?????   So Since I have had two of these radios since Last July I wonder if this one is developing a Factury defect also??? I did a factory reset on the version 2.2.3 and that did not help and all of the other versions have the same problem telling me it is the &$^%  Radio again!!!! BTW the first one was bad right out of the box as per the meters working, or working corectly!!!
Post #5501
Posted Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:54 AM
I also have come to discover that the VSWR circuit in my F5K does not work properly and gives false readings which cause the power foldback circuit to engage when in fact there is no reflected energy returning to the transmitter - PA chain internal to the F5K. My radio was returned to the factory to address the problem. They had it "on the bench" for a month prior to it being returned to me. It still has the problem. Flex Radio is aware of the problem and has categorized it as an "engineering issue". This is a design - manufacturing defect that has not been resolved and, to my knowledge, is not being adequately addressed. I wish it were otherwise, as they are a fine company and pleasure to deal with.

Paul WN7T

Paul WN7T
Post #5606
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:51 PM

Last Login: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:38 AM
I have the exact same problem, and it is p@#$ing me off.
I have always had problems with the internal ATU, always, in fact it is the only problem I keep having.
Now I did say some to flex a long time ago about the ATU returning one value and the PA returning another.
I can even prove it, antenna using the tuner in full tune mode drops the antennas swr down to 1.3:1 or there about, it is below 1.7:1 so I do not care a bit, and then you TX and up comes the HIGH SWR warning, WTF you go, select the SWR metering on TX, and yes the PA is seeing a swr higher than what you set as a max threshold, and yes you are right rolls back the power to save the PA, good idea, but why is it displaying two different swr readings only flex can answer this, currently I am running the latest version 2.4.4, now before the swr meter did not work correctly and allowed me to basically not look.
If the SWR reading in the ATU setup tab shows it as being safe, why the high SWR.

I am starting to say why did I do this, why.

In the long run I am thinking of removing the ATU and trowing it in the bin, and run and external unit.
My $0.02 worth.

Paul
Post #6087
Posted Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:41 AM
All suggestions are good and useful. This tread is one year old but now you all give the solutions for it. It is appreciable. I glad to be a part of this useful forum.

achat bureau
Post #6114
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:39 AM

Last Login: Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:09 AM
Just discovered I've got exactly the same problem, although mine seems to be power related. Anything over 50W, on 80m, and up comes the High SWR warning. Is Flex doing anything about this or are they all too busy with the 6000? Luckily I can run 50W into the linear and still put a decent signal out, but that's not the point is it?
Phil
Post #6497
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:15am