VISTA Software
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

VISTA Software Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:19 PM
I see from reviewing the older forum history that running VISTA is supposed to create problems.   However, those posts are years old.  I know some issues like the availability of NET have been solved.   Are there any remaining major reasons I need to go back to XP on the newer machine I just bought or can I use it with the VISTA software? 
Post #3742
Posted Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:35 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Friday, August 30, 2019 8:35 AM
The issues are primarily with 64-bit Vista (PowerSDR with the SDR-1000 doesn't work due to a lack of the proper 64-bit hardware drivers).

If you do 32-bit Vista, then you have the sound card driver challenges to overcome; especially if you are using the Delta 44 sound card.

IMHO, Vista is a pile of poop. If you want to upgrade beyond XP, do yourself a favor and install Win7 x86 (32-bit) on a computer that has a working parallel port since the USBIO drivers only work on XP.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #3743
Posted Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

I have the Eiderol soundcard.  Being retired cost is an issue.  I knew VISTA was an issue and I did try to get a fast computer with XP, but the vendor I bought from only had the dual core fast units with VISTA.    Does having that allegedly better model soundcard reduce the issues enough for me to use it or do I definitely need to change the OS?   If I gotta, I will bite the bullet and eat dogfood for the next month.  HI! HI!. 
Post #3748
Posted Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:08 PM

Using Vista isn't necessarily a "show stopper". You should be OK with the Edirol FA-66 Vista drivers.

I don't have enough info about your PC and its configuration to answer the question regarding changing the OS.

1.) Do you have the 32 or 64-bit version of Vista loaded on the PC?
2.) Do you have or plan to use a parallel port for radio control?

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #3750
Posted Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Computer is Dell GX745 Core 2  duo Pentium D 3.4 GHZ with 750 GB Drive.  Got the 32 bit version of VISTA Business allegedly with all drivers.

I was planning on using either the parallel port or USB.  The deal with rig came with a parallel to USB cable.   I heard that I might have to use straight parallel to parallel cable and could not use the USB connection with VISTA.  Is that true?

Post #3753
Posted Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:25 AM

The PC will be fine.

The USB cable does not work well with Vista, so if you use a native parallel port, you should be OK.

Good luck. Enjoy the radio.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #3756
Posted Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for all the info.

Bruce

K4CMC

Post #3760
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 2:37pm