DIGIU Mode & AGC-T, RX Gain
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

DIGIU Mode & AGC-T, RX Gain Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:29 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:37 PM
I am having a problem with the decoding of PSK31 signals using DM780.  I can decode some but much of the decoding is garbage and some signals are decoding only what I would call fair.  At this time I believe that somewhere in my PSDR setup there is a problem.  I have had DM780 work flawlessly using my previous radio/computer combination.  I do not suspect that I have a problem with my DM780 setup but I will not discount that yet.  I have reinstalled DM780 to the latest version and am using the same basic settings as I did with my old radio (TS-850).  I think it best to start here with my setups in PSDR.

I have the proper 3rd party programs installed and I presume them to be setup and working properly.  (As per the knowledgebase and the Flexradiowiki articles.)  I can transmit on DM780 with good results.  The decoding is the problem.   The waterfall traces look good (perhaps a bit fuzzy, nothing as crisp and clean as I had on the old TS-850 setup).  I think I have something wrong with either the AGC-T or RX Gain settings, perhaps something else.  I have been trying to tweak these settings over the past few days and have had some fair results but I think that the quality of the decoding is still not up to par as compared visually with the quality of the viewed signals on the waterfall.

I have searched high and low on both the knowledgebase articles, Flex Forums as well as the HRD/DM780 forums but nothing really addresses this issue.  I just can't put my finger on what the problem is.

I sure would appreciate some help in solving this issue.

KJ4QDZ

KJ4QDZ-Tom

Post #3656
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:45 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, June 4, 2018 12:02 PM
You are going to have to describe in detail how you have things setup before we can start debugging. I suspect that the problem is with the VAC (assuming you are using that) configuration.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #3657
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:07 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

(I Deleted the screen dump.  Poor res.)

VAC Setup in PSDR:

VAC Enabled

Driver: Windows WDM-KS (I tried MME without any change)

Input: Virtual Cable 1

Output: Virtual Cable 2 Buffer Size: 2048

Sample Rate: 24000

Mono/Stereo: Stereo checked now but was unchecked before.  No change with either setting.

Gain RX -21 (tried different settings)

Gain TX: -1

Latency: Unchecked

Combine VAC input channels: Checked

Direct I/Q: Unchecked

Auto Enable: Checked

Allow PTT to Overide ... : Checked

VAC CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS

SR: 11025-96000  BPS 8-32  NC: 1-2 Max Inst: 20  Ms per int: 7 Stream Fmt: Cable Range  Connected Source Lines: LINE  Clk Corr: 100%

KJ4QDZ-Tom

Post #3660
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:56 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, June 4, 2018 12:02 PM
That is excellent information. Just a few more questions

What is the sampling rate and audio buffer size toy are running the radio at?

What operating systme are you using including wheter it is a 32 or 64-bit OS

Are you using a purchased (registered) version of VAC?

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #3662
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:18 AM

1) In PSDR v2.0.16

Audio>Primary

Buffer Size: 2048

Sample Rate: 96000

2) OS XP 32 bit SP3 Hotfix 955408 loaded

3) VAC v4.10.0.2537 is a registered version

KJ4QDZ-Tom

Post #3663
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:55 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Monday, September 19, 2011 8:18 PM
You need to go back and down load VAC v4.09 version.  Go to the VAC website, there is some instructions there on how to get 4.09.  Before downgrading uninstall the 4.10. 

One note: 4.10 did not wipe out all of my ability to decode PSK, it just cause lines run across the waterfall and other people have complain about it.  It could be in your case. 

David KJ4YQK
www.saludalabs.com

Post #3667
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:40 PM

I tried to follow the instructions to download VAC 4.09 but its a dead link.  I sent an email to Eugene but it may be days before I get a copy.

I now have another issue with PSDR where a lot of audible noise is heard that can only stop by stopping and starting PSDR.  Sometimes its a crackling interference type of noise and other times it doesnt crackle so much but it sounds like interference.  It goes away after I pres the stop/start button.  This just started today and it occurs in both v1.18.6 and the 2.0.16 versions. 

(Unsporting comments edited out by the author)

KJ4QDZ-Tom

Post #3669
Posted Friday, December 31, 2010 12:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:34 PM
Hello Tom,

Don't give up yet. I am pretty sure the problem is computer related, and not in the radio itself. I experienced most of the problems you are seeing when I first set up the radio, but now I have it all running like clockwork.

If you can't get an answer on VAC 4.09, email me and I'll send you a copy of the ZIP file.

Tomorrow I'll go out to the shack and write down all the settings I have for PSDR, VAC, and DM780 so you can compare them with yours.

BTW - which version of PSDR are you using? I use 1.16.8 because I didn't want to introduce unexpected variables and glitches of beta software into the mix while trying to get the system up and running.

Ralph W5JGV - WD2XSH/7
Post #3670
Posted Friday, December 31, 2010 8:24 AM

W5JGV (12/31/2010)
Hello Tom,

Don't give up yet. I am pretty sure the problem is computer related, and not in the radio itself. I experienced most of the problems you are seeing when I first set up the radio, but now I have it all running like clockwork.

If you can't get an answer on VAC 4.09, email me and I'll send you a copy of the ZIP file.

Tomorrow I'll go out to the shack and write down all the settings I have for PSDR, VAC, and DM780 so you can compare them with yours.

BTW - which version of PSDR are you using? I use 1.16.8 because I didn't want to introduce unexpected variables and glitches of beta software into the mix while trying to get the system up and running.

The noise I was hearing was heard using both the latest beta version and v1.18.6.  After I wrote my last message I uninstalled everything including the firmware and then reinstalled 1.18.6.  It seems to be working ok but the beta version was working ok for 2-3 days prior to this symptom occurring.

As I said I am using PSDR v1.18.6 now  so if you can pass on the settings for PSDR, VAC and DM780 I would be much obliged.  It seems if VAC 2.10 is the problem then installing v2.09 will solve my problem and the software settings can be adjusted as needed.  If indeed I have an incorrect setting then a comparison to yours should solve the problem.  I will email you.

KJ4QDZ-Tom

Post #3672
Posted Friday, December 31, 2010 12:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:34 PM
Hello Tom,

This is what I have set up here:

-----

VAC Setup in PSDR:

VAC Enabled

Driver: MME

Input: Virtual Cable 1

Output: Virtual Cable 1

Sample Rate: 6000

***** ( I experienced severe audio noise, dropouts and stuttering until I reduced the Sample Rate to 6000. ) *****

Mono/Stereo: Stereo = unchecked

Gain RX -40 (YMMV - Depends on your system.)

Gain TX: 3 (YMMV - Depends on your system.)

Latency: Unchecked

Combine VAC input channels: unchecked

Direct I/Q: Unchecked

Auto Enable: Checked (not available in in my version)

Allow PTT to Overide ... :unchecked

VAC CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS

SR: 11025-96000

BPS 8-32

NC: 1-2

Max Inst: 20

Ms per int: 7

Stream Fmt: Cable Format

Connected Source Lines: LINE

Clk Corr: 100%

In PSDR v1.18.6

Audio>Primary

Sample Rate: 96000

OS XP 32 bit SP3 Hotfix 955408 loaded

VAC v4.10.0.2537 is a registered version

-----

Hope this helps!

Ralph W5JGV - WD2XSH/7
Post #3673
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 9:11pm