Flex-1500 and Transverter Setup (Ten Tec 1210)
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex-1500 and Transverter Setup (Ten Tec... Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:40 PM
I have been a SDR-1000 user since 2005, and have loved every minute of it. When the Flex-1500 was announced, I thought it was a good time to make the jump to using a SDR for VHF/UHF as well.

I ordered my Flex-1500 and decided to test the waters with a TenTec 1210 transverter (10 meters to 2 meters.) I am running into a problem getting it to work with the Flex-1500, and I'm not sure if it is just my inexperience coming into play... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Situation:
Since the transverter requires higher power than what the trasnsverter port on the Flex-1500 can provide, I have hooked it up to the PA jack. I have also set the transmitting and receiving antenna to the PA. (this particular transverter transmits and receives off of the same port and does not provide an external switching interface.)

Under the transverter screen, I have activated the transverter for 2 meters, have set the offset to 116, set starting frequency to 144.000 and ending frequency to 146.000. Using this configuration, I am able to receive using the 2 meter transverter button, but when I try to transmit (regardless of power level), the transverter does not key up. When I click the "TUN" button, PowerSDR looks like it is transmitting (it is reporting a forward power level), but my wattmeter says otherwise.

If I set the SDR back to 28 megs, the transverter keys up just fine (as long as the power is set anywhere between .6 watts to a full 5 watts.) Does anyone have any ideas why I can't transmit with 2 meters selected? I have tried this configuration on two different PCs (one running Windows 7 and one running Windows XP.) Perhaps worth noting: neither machine I tested with was the one I have my SDR-1000 hooked up to. Both environments exhibit the same behaviors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan to upgrade to a demi at some point, but as I said, I would like to get my feet wet with the Ten Tec first.

Thanks in advance.

- Brad
AI0BP

Post #3030
Posted Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:29 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:45 AM
I guess this is a non event or not important????

I have the same problems, very weird performance when I set up PowerSDR for transverters. A search on the forum finds nothing so I use google and get the bug reports website for PowerSDR and this where I find that it is a software bug. I wasted about 3 very frustrating hours on this to find out it won't do it anyway.

The blurb for the 1500 says that it is "The Perfect IF Deck for VHF-Microwave Transverters" Well at the moment it isn't. For me the perfect IF deck is my FT-817 still.

"Not Happy Jan!" When will this be fixed?

-VK2DAG- -W3DAG-
Post #3098
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Bump.

I have tried version 2.0.8 same problem.

Why has there been no answer for this? Is this just me or does it not rate as an issue?

-VK2DAG- -W3DAG-
Post #3154
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 28, 2011 5:03 AM
VK2DAG (8/31/2010)
Bump.

I have tried version 2.0.8 same problem.

Why has there been no answer for this? Is this just me or does it not rate as an issue?

Hello,

I have the same problems with the flex1500 using with my transverters.
There are different bugs with the power and antenne and rf-gain settings, image rejection with all the software versions till now.(see the bug list)
I think that they like to listen to the people who are exteemly happy with the flex1500 (yes there are!)
and just ignore the (VHF/SHF) people who dare to complain, then they will stop automaticaly after a while .

Post #3155
Posted Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:35 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:56 PM
I also ran into this issue yesterday running 2.0.8.  No RF out when using the VHF XVTR feature. Switching back to 10M band as an IF works fine.  There is another issue near and dear to us VHF operators, the Flex-1500 does not lend itself to sequencing.

John N6VMO

Post #3193
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:45 AM
Forum Newbie

I've had 1 contact on 10m to see if the box works OK. Then I went to make it work with my transverters and since then it has just been sitting on the bench doing nothing. I also didn't want another QRP HF rig, I got the 1500 for my transverters. I even built up a 10m to 2m zero gain transverter to get all this to work.

I am now going to build up a new SoftRock that will work up to 70 MHz and tap the IF of my FT-817 and run that out to some SDR software. I guess that if I just sell my 1500 off then Flex will have one less complaining microwaver to worry about.

-VK2DAG- -W3DAG-
Post #3196
Posted Friday, March 11, 2011 8:27 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:52 PM
ok so are there any versions that work around this problem? this sucks!!!! this is why i bought the **** thing.

Carey Lockhart, kc5gtt
www.kc5gtt.com
Post #4096
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011 5:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:23 AM
It is also my problem. I tried  set to work my flex1500 (the latest 2.022 firmware) with transverter 23m DB6NT 3 days and nothing.    Now i see it is not only my problem!

I am happy! 

excuse my poor english

Emil OK1CS

Emil OK1CS

Post #4273
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:40 AM
I had a similar problem.

Here is how I worked around it:

http://www.qsl.net/g0mji/Stack%20Memory.html

Cheers.

Brian

De
G0MJI
Post #5879
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:27am