VAC alternative?
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

VAC alternative? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:44 PM
I just got my Flex 1500 set up, and I'm interested in doing some PSK31, but I don't really want to pay the $30 for VAC. Is there any alternative?
Post #3003
Posted Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:50 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
I know of no alternative to VAC other than a second sound card in the computer and real cables.. or a second computer and real audio cables

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #3005
Posted Friday, July 30, 2010 10:01 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:09 PM
VAC is worth the 30 bucks. Here's why: If you use a second sound card, your computer has to do a second A/D conversion instead of just directly using the audio derived from the Flex. Also, cables are undesirable because they introduce losses and potential RF feedback and ground loops.

The guy who wrote this VAC program deserves our thanks and support. Without him we'd have a lot more trouble running digital modes with SDR radios.

I am just reciting the wisdom of my betters above, but it makes sense to me.

The current VAC audio form in 2.05 setup will recognize and play well with the VAC cables created by the 30 buck VAC program. (Release info on 2.06 advises there is a bug that does not allow transmitting in VAC--so I am not using 2.06)

You can't get along with the trial VAC either. It has an audio reminder to purchase that you don't want going out on the air!

I expect that eventually you will be able to use PSDR/VAC and a second sound card, as I have done on my other computer with SoftRocks. But even there, VAC is superior.

Preston WJ2V
Post #3009
Posted Monday, August 2, 2010 10:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, February 7, 2011 8:28 PM
What is the/a VAC?  Sounds like a piece of software.  Is it a Flex product and what exactly does it do?

Band new HAM with Brand New Flex-1500
I don't know what I don't know.... yet.
Post #3018
Posted Monday, August 2, 2010 12:04 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
VAC stands for Virtual Audio Cable.. It is a 3rd party piece of software that lets you connect PowerSDR audio to other software programs ( like RTTY, PSK, etc) running on the same PC without having physical cables. Likewise there are Virtural Serial port programs that let control signal pass from PowerSDR to other control programs.
See Flex knowledge Center
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50230.aspx
and
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50458.aspx

Don't need them until you want to do more..

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #3020
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 10:30pm