Flex 5000A RTTY with MMTTY Interface
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 5000A RTTY with MMTTY Interface Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 6, 2010 3:50 AM
I had a problem with the Flex 5000A and MMTTY. When I configured the interface I used the audio I/O screen in MMTTY. I set it up for the sound card. It worked great except every so often it would jump to the Flex Audio input. This produced a very dangerous configuration. The transmitter would run up to 170 watts and the T/R switch would remain switched to the receiver. In other words I was transmitting 170 watts into an open. This bit me once. It burned up the input inductor to the 20 meter transmit filter. The solution is to configure not with the Audio I/o tab rather by putting -1 and -1 in two boxes under another tab... not intuitive. The Flex 5000A is actually the control thread for the whole radio. I do not know why it is available on a user interface.

Since the radio returned from repair I have used it on CW, phone and RTTY. I works fine on CW. On phone I can get around 150 watts out on peaks. On RTTY I can still run the power up to 170 watts. I never checked this before. Has anyone seen peaks on SSB above about 105 watts say. Has anyone experimented on RTTY and gotten 170 watts output when the Drive is at 100 and the TX gain is cranked up? Is it my box or every box?
Post #2292
Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:13 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
Yes, you can force the 5K to put out way more than the rated 100 watts... However, If you adjust the input level, ( Mic or VAC ) such that the TX meter in the 'Mic' mode is at 0db, then you should have near 100 watts at 100% drive. Going beyond 0db could result in audio distortion, splatter and PA damage. If you still have 170 watts with 0db mic, you may need a PA or Bridge recalibration.

I have not used the audio interface method you describe. I exclusively use VAC... One thing to be aware of with windows is that Windows is not consistent on how it enumerates Sound devices.. i.e. the order of the sound devices may change each time you start up(mmtty,Psdr) / reboot. That is why I always check sound card setting each time I start MMTTY.

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #2297
Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:20 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, September 6, 2010 3:50 AM
Thanks! I do check the interface now every time I boot up MMTTY. The real kicker is that it changed in the middle of a QSO! I have not seen this since I used the VAC -1 -1 as described in the knowledge base.

Bill
Post #2300
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 8:00pm