Flex 5000 with Ameritron AL80B
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 5000 with Ameritron AL80B Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:09 PM
I recently added a new Ameritron AL80 b to my new Flex 5000A. When I start to tune the amp, I start with 10 - 15 watts drive. Once i get the Ameritron Tuned, I start to raise the output power of the Flex 5000. As soon as I get to 25 watts, the flex output power DROPS to 0 However the relay on the Ameritron is still engaged. Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Chris Williams
WB4MAZ
Post #2213
Posted Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:57 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
Chris,
A couple of things come to mind...
1) It could be a mismatch on the amplifier input causing the Flex output to shut down. In tune mode select SWR and monitor swr as in increase drive.
2) Rf getting into the Firewire cable.. This is the most likely cause if your panadapter is frozen and you need to cycle the PSDR start button to recover.. Does the problem exist on a Dommy load? Potential fixes include: replacing the firewire cable ( FW cables from Granite Digital have been reported to be effective) ; Improve RF grounding in the shack; Add ferrite clamp-ons
to cables and leads ( except grounds).

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #2215
Posted Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:41 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:09 PM
Thanks, I will start with improving ground and getting a better relay cable and add ferrite beads on all cables (audio & Relay)

Chris Williams
WB4MAZ
Post #2217
Posted Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:26 PM
I am using an 80b with my Flex 5000, and found: ARB-704 interface works well, and have found an MFJ 998 autotuner between the amp and antenna also helpful.  I use 24-28 watts drive out on HF, and this gives me 400-500 watts to the antenna by a digital wattmeter.  If SWR climbs over 1.8, the amp kicks off PSDR (had to learn to use the tuner before each amplified transmission). I found that the internal Flex ATU also adjusts this outboard tuner when moving to a new frequency. Learned the hard way that tuning after forgetting the amp "Standby" switch is on burns up tuners placed outboard of the amp (in my case, an LDG AT Pro1000). The quality of cable between the Flex plugout port to the interface and from the interface to the amp seems to be important to reliable function. Using power has made a big difference in the number of stations I can contact without mulitple attempts.

Best 73's,

Terry, N4TRU

Post #6133
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 12:10am