Problem with PSK31 in MixW.
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Problem with PSK31 in MixW. Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:08 AM
greetings from Vienna,

I have been using an SD1k for several years now (SSB and digimodes) and recently needed to upgrade the PC driving the system to a faster platform and at the same time moved to Windows XP.

I am still using MixW, VAC and the virtual ports as described in the user manual and ported from the initial system.

SSB works wellm but when I tried PSK31 I found the output to be very bad, most of the text is garbled and takes imagination to decrypt.   I have been trying to solve the problem, even rebuilt the old system where everything works well, without any noticeable improvement.
To my real surprise, testing RTTY last night showed perfect results.  No changes to SDR or MixW configuration, and I am at a loss why that does not function with PSK.

I would greatly appreciate any hints, even a pointer at a relevant page in (R)TFM.

thanks

OE1RKS / 4U1VIC

Post #2089
Posted Friday, December 18, 2009 11:13 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:12 PM
When I first setup digital, I had dirty signal problems also. The problem was overdriving audio stages. Start out with low VAC gain and audio gain. Make sure compander, compressor, AGC, etc is off. Set drive level at max. Then slowly advance the audio til you get full output. It should be clean at that point.

Byron L. Armstrong

www.e-therapist.net or w8syd.com

w8syd@e-therapist.net
Post #2092
Posted Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:08 AM
thanks for the quick reply.

I believe I did not express myself right in the posting:  I have trouble decoding incoming PSK signals, while incoming RTTY works perfectly well.  Your reply seemed to indicate procedures for transmitting a clean signal - did I get that right?

rom

Post #2093
Posted Sunday, December 20, 2009 3:05 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
rom..
A suggestion...
1) Make sure the in power SDR that VAC RX gain is not too high mine is usually about -20
2) The VAC "cables" inherit their characteristics from the end that gets attached first. Enable PSDR VAC before starting Mixw.
3) In Setup>Audio>VAC.. does MME or Windows sound direct give better results. Remember to number 2 above.. Disconnect both ends and reconnect after changing. ( I use WSD )
4) When you restart your computer Windows may scramble your sound card/VAC enumeration.
Always check port selections on both ends when you restart.

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #2099
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 5, 2010 10:19 AM
Rom,

This may not apply to your situation. I had garbled decoding using MIXW and VAC. But mine also occured in RTTY. I found a recommendation somewhere to set up VAC to Cable Format instead of Cable Range. After doing so, I have almost 100% decode on all modes.

If you have solved your problem, please ignore. Hope it helps.

Jerry, AA5JC
Post #2174
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:16pm