Flex 1500 Transverter Interfacing
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 1500 Transverter Interfacing Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:02 PM
Am hoping Flex Radio will come out with transverters that will interface easily with the 1500 and the 5000A.  I understand they are working on transverters that will also have a 10 MHz reference input or tap off the existing oscillator chain.  Many people have the Elecraft 20 watt transverters which can accept RF drive from -20 Db to 5 watts or more which the 1500 would work well with but of course the Elecraft transverters have no reference input.  If I am correct, Downeast Microwave will be the manufacturer of these transverters?

We suffer from kleptomania and sometimes have to take something for it.
Post #1697
Posted Monday, August 24, 2009 3:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 9, 2010 10:00 AM
I dont know for sure, but I believe the 144/432 transverters are designed and build by FlexRadio Systems. It is possible that there is collaboration between flex and Down East Microwave (DEMI).

Regardless of who makes the Flex Transverter, DEMI makes fantastic transverters that should work very nicely with a Flex Radio. I know that DEMI is about to release a new line of transverters for 50, 144, 222, and 432MHz. These transverters will have the option for a 10Mhz reference. The current DEMI transverters for 2304 - 10Ghz support 10MHz reference.

I am currently putting together a VHF+ station based around Flex Radio and DEMI transverters. I am looking very forward to getting a FLEX-1500.

Post #1873
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:47 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Of course wouldn't you know it, after I ordered the Flex 1500 to receive sometime in December or January, they announced the new transverter for the 5000A.  Not having a referenced 144 Mhz transverter now, the 5000A with it's new internal transverter can be utilized in the field using my small Honda generator.  My 3 watt amp and 10 GHz DB6NT transverter is locked on frequency using a unit from JWM Engineering and of course the accurate 144 Mhz from the referenced 5000A will give the capabilty of being right on.  It is awkward however having to lug the Z3801A GPS 10 Mhz oscillator along, not to mention a PC and the 5000A but the thrill of being on a high ridge along the Skyline drive in Virginia and using 2 meter SSB as a liason, some really great 10 GHz contacts can be made, especially if the other stations have accurate frequency control.  My best record for distance is 300 miles from a hill in Pennsylvania to a spot in West Virginia. 

Post #2027
Posted Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Supreme Being

Well, here it is November, 2010 and have no idea when a V/U unit will be ready for my Flex 5000A.  Doing some browsing around, I did discover that KHUNE Electronics http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/home/oscillators.html in germany sells PLL oscillator units to replace crystal oscillators in various transverters.  One transverter I use with an older IC756PRO is the Elecraft XV144 which has excellent sensitivity and low noise.  However, it's crystal oscillator on 116 MHz is certainly lacking in stability and will drift plus or minus 400 Hz after powering up.  KUHNE Electronics has a small module (MKU XO 1 PLL) which requires a 10 MHz reference and gives a very stable 10 Mw 116 MHz output with low phase noise.  You have your choice of many oscillator frequencies, depending the band and your I.F. frequency.  They are not cheep ($298 U.S) (175 Euro) but will turn an ordinary 144 MHz transverter into a extremely accurate instrument.  If you reference your Flex 5000A, it is a simple matter of splitting that 10 MHz to feed the transverters.  The 5000A and 1500 Flex radios are easy to interface with a transverter and by using a PLL oscillator, it will surely perform as well as any other transverter setup.
Anther company here in the States, http://jwmeng.com/ (JW Engineering) sells PLL oscillators for the 1296 and higher bands to replace the crystal oscillators in some DEMI and KUHNE (DB6NT) transverters.  I use one of their 1296 units running all of the time on my workbench as a low power beacon to make certain my IC910 is performing OK on receive.  JWM also sells a 10 MHz distribution amplifier which feeds all of my referenced gear from the Z3801A GPS oscillator.

Post #3336
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 11:56pm