how to hook up paddles
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

how to hook up paddles Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:23 PM
I'm having some difficulty interfacing paddles for CW.  I guess the key input on the SDR-1000 is useless since there is no delay control for the transmit relay and I don't want to pretend I'm doing QSK with a relay clicking for every dit.   I tried to connect the paddles to the COM1 serial port on the PC.  This seemed promising but the paddles have about an ohm of resistance which is too much to activate the port by simply shorting between pins.  I can't seem to get a keyer to do anything either.  Is there someone who has built a keyer or paddle interface ?

tnx,

n9fyx

Post #1680
Posted Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

This forum seems to be pretty bleak.  I'll answer my own question.  It seems the best source of information are old discussions where they were reviewing the radio.  Too bad most of the complains about how to operate CW and lack of documentation  haven't been fixed in the 3 years since the reviews, even on the 5000.  I was able to hook up a keyer by reversing the connections shown: pin 4 to the tip of the keyer output and pin 8 to the ground.  Maybe I should be using pin 6.  Maybe I'll try that and see if there is any difference.  Then with the keyer set to COM1 I am able to use both CWX and the paddles OK.
Post #1684
Posted Monday, March 9, 2009 11:03 AM
Forum Newbie

I finally realized that checking the Enable Semi-breaking mode when the transmit setup was set on SDR and not COM1 would cause the transmitter to key up.  If it was set this way before hitting Start, then PowerSDR would go to Stop right away.  Don't know if it is a problem with the radio or the 1.16.1 release.  If that were fixed, it might be possible to use the key inputs on the radio.
Post #1686
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 6:27am