Headphones - 'mono' adapter causes clicking
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Headphones - 'mono' adapter causes clicking Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:04 PM
All,

When I first unboxed my new Flex 5000A and got everything hooked up, I was looking forward to an evening of exploring the user inteface, checking everything out that the software could do as a receiver, bathing myself in the warm glow of a 192KHz bandscope.. So I grabbed my nearest set of PC headphones, put on a 1/4" adapter, slid it in the slot, and pressed the power button.

I heard my computer do the 'connection' ding, everything looked good, blue light on. Started PowerSDR and I started hearing a faint clicking sound, about two per second, in my headphones. Over the next few seconds, it grew louder and louder. I pressed START on the software, and I heard 'pulses' from the receiver, along with the clicking.

My heart sank and over the next few hours, I did standard troubleshooting, checking my computer, firewire card, changing to another system... and was just about to give up when I decided to pull out my headphones and plug in a PC speaker in the back. Then as I slid out the 1/4" plug... Continuous audio!!

Turns out that due to something internal to the radio, if you use a 1/4" mono adapter, the audio amp cycles or something (or at least it does on my unit). Has anyone seen this? I have never encountered a problem like this. Every other time, I would just get audio on one side, but never this.

Post #1115
Posted Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:10 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Friday, August 30, 2019 8:35 AM
It is a requirement to use stereo headphones. There is also an impedance requirement.

Refer to the FLEX-5000 Owners Manual 1.12.0 on page 5.

-----
Tim - W4TME
Post #1116
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008 11:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:04 PM
I understand that stereo is a requirement, but I have never encountered an output jack that behaved in this manner when a mono 1/4" jack was inserted. Most of the time, the output was only present on one side - which is expected. Occasionally the output was nonexistent. But never did I get this cyclic clicking. It's almost like the output amplifier was going into some sort of cutoff.

Otherwise I'm loving the radio, I'm just concerned that it's some sort of design issue that could actually cause damage if someone used this type of setup for a long time, or simply plugged in the adapter and didn't plug in phones (which I've been known to do) so I can swap my phones around between computer and radio.
Post #1121
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 28, 2014 5:14 PM
I also have this problem with my headphones . I am using the Heil Pro Set and It is stereo.. The left channel clicks on and off mostly off. If I go to the MIXER option in SDR and enable and disable the headphone audio it comes on for a while and then off again and only the right channel is reliable.. When the headphones play both channels correctly I can understand very low signals.. If I do the audio test ( left right spkr ) on the left I always get a soft tone ( low volume ) on the right perfect.. When the left channel seems to work the audio levels are equal.. I occasionally get to use the BIN switch ( awesome ) but not often.. HELP HELP IVE FALLEN AND I CANT GET UP!!

Keith Hertzog
Post #5065
Posted Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:09 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:13 AM
Keith,
Have you tried a database reset to see if the problem persists ?? If the problem persists and you're sure that there is no problem with headphone or connector ( wire/connector ) then I suggest you open a request at the Flex help desk.. http://helpdesk.flexradio.com

AL, K0VM
SDR-1000, Flex5000, Flex user since 2006
Post #5070
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 5:44am